I don't know why this jumped in my head as I was looking through the random experiences but it did.
When I was a kid we ate acorn mush (because they are full of tannic acid and need to be leached) for special occasions. You know it isn't that bad.
You can leach it...
One of the many things I have eaten as a child. I wanted to show my friend that they were edible. Opened it, took out some meat, ate it. Raw. Really nasty tasting and bitter. Eugh!
If you want to eat it properly, see Hobolady's story :)