cpthaddock cpthaddock 51-55, M 7 Answers Feb 15, 2013 in Hobbies

I have seldom found the need to ignore forecasts and set out in known bad conditions but given that you sometimes start out in good conditions and they can unexpectedly deteriorate, it is invaluable mountaineering experience to know how to make the decisions to abort and retreat, progress safely on the same or a changed route or to hunker down and sit it out, for which eventuality one should always be prepared. The several recent avalanche tragedies would suggest that people did not properly assess that risk. One should always remember

the well-known quote from Edward Whymper, "Scrambles Amongst the Alps":

“Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end.”

Best Answer

Even in the middle of summer, a mountain range can be deadly without all the right gear

Best Answer

Indeed, more folk die on the British hills from hypothermia when the temperature is above freezing than when there is snow and ice around.

Best Answer

Not without a death wish.

Best Answer

no and i dont understand why people do...not in such extreme conditions..sheer madness!

Best Answer

Dunno why I'm asking this, they'll be all out in blizzards right now

Best Answer

I wouldn't, but I guess bad weather might just add to the challenge for hardened mountaineers.

Best Answer

Yes, because its there...

Best Answer

not goin mountaineerin until they install elevators

Best Answer

I agree :)

Best Answer

the challenge? some people are like that.

I am not one of 'em.

Best Answer