Is it OK for young children to "Shoot Guns...?"
crowbar53 crowbar53 46-50, M 8 Answers Aug 31 in Parenting & Family

No child should be anywhere near a gun , ever.

Best Answer

That was the equivalent of neglect.

Best Answer

At what age do you propose introducing a person to a weapon?

Best Answer

Never. I live in a civilised country.

Best Answer

The kid's parents should be prosecuted for child abuse. Mainly because the child will be haunted for life by this incident and will most likely need therapy. And also for just being really stupid. No, it's NOT ok for young children to learn how to shoot guns -- let alone a ******* Uzi in this case.

Best Answer

At what age would you feel that it is magically acceptable to teach a child how to safely use a gun?

Best Answer

Magically has nothing to do with it. Commons sense and parental responsibility are more like it. Like I said, I was in my early teens when I first learned how to shoot at my granddad's farm (he taught me) with various firearms, and then began training at around 14 at an NRA certified rifle range.

Best Answer

wtf? this is seriously legal that a little girl can pocess and fire a gun? this is not what was meant by right to bear arms. this is honnestly depressing.

Best Answer

I suggest that you read the news accounts of what happened. It was a horrible accident .

Best Answer

i will read it.

Best Answer

I'm sorry, but imho, only a moron would give an UZI to a child. Too bad three morons approved her handling it. One died as a result. And the other two can't be sued, because the range "followed the rules".

Best Answer

In this state, it is allowable for a child of that age to shoot guns. I however, do not agree. I do not understand why any parent would feel their young child should shoot a gun.

Best Answer

Yes. How else do you believe they can get trained in gun handling and safety?

Best Answer

Safety...??? LMAO

Best Answer

Do you think that at some point/ some age you can just pick up a weapon and know how to use it safely?

Best Answer

They don't need the training at 9 years old. I started rifle training through the NRA at 14. That's much more reasonable.

Best Answer

A friend of ours always locked up his weapons and ammo. He didn't think that his 10 year old son knew there was a gun in the house. Somehow the child found it and, thinking it was a toy aimed it at his 12 year old brother. The shot killed the brother. Had either of the children had even the most basic training, my friend would probably have two sons alive today.
Our child fired his first handgun when he was 10. He completed his first gun safety course within 6 months. What do you believe is the magical act where a child needs to be taught safety?

Best Answer

How'd that work out for her....AND her instructor ???

Best Answer

It was an accident. It could have happened to you at age 14. It was a horrible accident and to make more over it is insensitive and not productive. Two families and their lives have been changed forever.

Best Answer

Hmmm, Locked his guns & ammo up huh. I guess not good enough if the 10 yr old shot and killed his brother. Did the Parents get charged with murder? Maybe they should of...

Best Answer

No. They did nothing criminal. My point is that the kid found a key where he shouldn't have been and got into the gun safe. He didn't appreciate the harm a gun can do and treated it as a toy. Training would have probably altered his perception of a gun as a toy.

Best Answer

Is that what responsible gun owners look like ? Do you think they regret now having a gun in the house ?

Best Answer

What happened with the child in Arizona with the Uzi was not gun safety and training... It was a Play Day at a gun range as part of the family Vegas vacation. The range offered a package deal to shoot various assault/ military style weapons including a rocket launcher !

Best Answer

..and having someone handle weapons is the beginning of teaching them the power and seriousness of the weapon, and thus safety. Just because you are afraid of weapons and can't understand the rights people are afforded in owning/using or even "playing" with them doesn't mean that every person who exercises their rights is a horrible, unrepsonsible person. Since you probably don't know or understand what previous association she had with fire arms, it is probably not appropriate to represent this as all fun and games.

Best Answer

'people kill people,not guns'

Best Answer