I am not sure that I agree that artificial insemination reduces genetic diversity in livestock. The amount of ***** that can be collected from a prize bull is significant but limited and the bull only produces for a limited time. ***** is bought and sold throughout the country and often internationally. I believe that this actually results in greater diversity than would happen in a cattle herd for example, where inbreeding can easily occur between a limited number of breeder cows and breeder bulls.<br />
My concern is more along the lines of the widespread usage of hormones, steroids and antibiotics by cattle breeders to maximize the size of the meat cattle and their yield. This wide use of antibiotics is almost certainly accelerating the development of antibiotic resistant strains of common diseases and pathogens. Additionally, the hormones and steroids are often passed from the meat animal to the consumers. This is certainly one of the causes for the earlier onset of menses and earlier breast development in human children, as well as hormone related illnesses, possibly including breast cancer.

Best Answer

A lot of things in livestock production are worrying, but we all want cheap food, so that we can buy more trash and inflate the price of property.

Best Answer