When I go visit tonight, is it appropriate to take a teddy bear or some small sweet gift to the surviving 7 yr old daughter? I don't want to do something dumb, never been through this before. He was sick since birth with a heart defect and it's been a sad three weeks in coming and I know the daughter pretty well.
ilivelifetothefullest ilivelifetothefullest 41-45, F 21 Answers Sep 24, 2012 in Parenting & Family

I would suggest you don't bring anything except perhaps some tasteful flowers. The last thing the little girl really needs is a stuffed toy to remind her of this sad day. Odds are she probably has enough toys already anyway.

Best Answer

good point! thank you

Best Answer

That would be nice

some flowers for the mother and father

ITS not about you never being through this its the parents who lost a child

Best Answer

I know it's not about me, I just don't know proper things to do here.

Best Answer

NO person does, what to say or what to do

Best Answer

that was the whole reason for the freaking question

Best Answer

Perhaps a children's book on grief?

Best Answer

Well besides a good long hug...

Do you think she would like a teddy bear? Maybe to remember her little brother by?

Best Answer

Sometimes, just a simple hug is what's needed for all. Being held and having human contact is what is truly needed.

Best Answer

Do a google search on this topic. I'm sure there is some answers there also. I have no answer.

Best Answer

My condolences to you and your friends. I think it would be very kind and yes appropriate for you to take the little girl a small gift like a teddy bear.

Best Answer

if you are going to bring her something, make it meaningful. like a locket with her brother's picture, or a pendant with his name so she can always keep him close to her heart. no a teddy bear. those are generic. it may be better not to bring anything at all in comparison to a stuffed toy.

Best Answer

I love your ideas! Thank you so much

Best Answer

no problem, and my condolences to your friend and her family. at least that child's pain is ended and they were able to know him, even if only for a little while.

Best Answer

You know, nobody really knows h right answer. If your heart says bring a gift, then do it. Let your best instincts lead the way and you'll be fine

Best Answer

Awww, I'm sorry to hear what happened. I think it's a lovely idea!

Best Answer

Yes, that's appropriate. Say nothing other than you are happy to see her and/or love her (if true). Definitely no, I'm sorry statements. Let her parents deal with her on things like that.

Best Answer

Yes, i think they'd appreciate it.

Best Answer

I think that is a wonderful idea. She needs comfort, she lost her brother

Best Answer

I think it is appropriate. Show your love to the family and daughter, a teddy bear will be nice.

Best Answer