Please do not take offense to this question. Ignorance is only cured through education and I'm trying to educate myself. If you cut, or self harm, and it leaves scars, do you show these in public? For instance, wearing a sleeveless shirt. Do you notice people staring at you? Fair enough, it is your own life and your own business, but how do people react and how do you deal with it? EP has taught me a lot about emotions I don't have myself, and it has also made me curious. I saw a girl the other day who had cut marks up and down her arms, and I didn't know the appropriate 'response'. It also made me wonder how she felt, showing her pain to the world like that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
CosmicLucidity CosmicLucidity 22-25, F 7 Answers Mar 19, 2009

i tried for so long to hide them. for years and years and year i only did it in places no one would see (and this is quite typical of self-harmers). then i ran out of space and made scars on my arms and more obvious places. <br />
i now wear short sleeves. it has been a very gradual process. some of the scars have faded and i am more used to them and more relaxed around other people. <br />
i must admit sometimes i will fold my arms so they're not visible. a lot of the time i forget they're even there until i know someone is looking at them, then i try my best not to make them obvious. <br />
i hope that helps. any questions you want to ask are fine. i'm actually glad that you've gone and asked. kudos.

Best Answer

the appropriate response is to leave it alone because it is no ones business but her own. <br />
i used to cover them with make up, bracelets, clothes. I don't care anymore. The only time I cover them is for job interviews. they are like tattoos here (i use it as a reference you will see just read) people see tats where I live and they look down on you and think less of you. (i even asked my boss about what he would have thought if i had tats he could visibly see he said he wouldn't have hired me and i have been here over a year in a corporate office) when people see my scars and i am in an interview it scares them. <br />
I don't want attention I never did. I tell people i don't know I was in a car accident (an obvious lie) and they leave it alone. If I know you better I say "i had a problem" or "yeah I used to cut myself"

Best Answer

I cut on my stomach where no one is sure to see it. When I was in high school a lot of kids make superficial marks (not cuts but the red scratches) on thier entire arm and then wore short sleeves. At the lunch table the other kids who didn't know them would sit with them and talk about the cuts with that person. <br />
From my expericance and the cutters I know here, we don't like to show our scars. I do it where I can hide it because it is a very personal pain. If I wanted it to be public I could go to a therapist ( i've done it and didn't help) or seek help elsewhere but I don't. I made mine public by writting a story on EP. <br />
Usually, someone who has the marks like what I talk about is just looking for attention. I can't speak for everyone though.

Best Answer

when i was younger i used to cut as a way to..try and not feel as much emotional pain i guess? i tried to NEVER show it to anybody..it wasnt something i was proud with..i live with the scars now...and i really regret it, but whats done is done and i cant change it...although the scars are not too visible anymore...i think its a shame that people have to go around showing it off...because a lot of people just dont understand WHY you do these things...just because somepeople want attention dosent mean we all do. When i was in school a lot of people though you were crazy if you were one of those people who cut them selves...i dont think they are crazy..just in a bad place and need to find a better way to cope with all their different emotions...its hard to stop, but i did. :)

Best Answer