Don't give him the treat until he follows what you said. Like, show it to him, tell him what you want him to do, if he doesn't do it, just tell him no, & keep trying. It takes patience but it works, had the same problem with my Great Pyrenees.

Best Answer

Good to know. Persistence. Consistence. :) Thank you!

Best Answer

he needs to gain more respect for you once you accomplish this he will listen to every word, if he is not trained to heel and come. you need to start there.

Best Answer

That's what I'm asking - how do I accomplish this? He is trained to come, sit, lay down, stay, rollover, jump through a hoop and play dead - but if I tell him to stay and lay down; he still fixates and stresses. And sometimes if I tell him to sit he lays down even though there is a clear command for sit and a different one for down. I just want to sharpen his skills up, but now if I try it's like he doesn't understand the fine points. And I know it's because he doesn't respect me - but treats don't earn his respect, they get the before-mentioned reaction and trying to discipline him doesn't work either because that's not something I can discipline into him and if I get frustrated he just senses it and goes belly-up. I don't hit him or anything but I used to pinch his ear when I trained him but I don't know what to do to gain his respect and lower his stress level so he slows down and thinks. He's not a hyper dog, either. He has a lot of endurance and gets a lot of running everyday. I'm just confused on these finer points.

Best Answer

He's a big dog, but he's neutered. He's not ill behaved, he's just lacking fine tuning and I'm thinking about saving up and getting him professionally trained - but wanted to see what I could do first.

Best Answer

it sounds as if you have done a fine job to this point, you might try and make him feel as if he has a job when you are walking him you might try and put a saddle bag secured to his back this will give him a purpose

Best Answer

Cool, yeah I'll try that - I have a pack for him. Like a saddle. When I take him hiking and he carries his own food - and when I put the pack on him he always looks important and proud - it's pretty cute. xD I'll have to institute that more often.

Best Answer

he is a working dog....that i think just might do it.

Best Answer

Take him for a long walk before training him. He is too hyper looks like.

Best Answer

He get's run a lot, not exactly hyper - but he is high endurance and runs a lot, but sleeps the rest of the time. Good idea, I will try that. Warming him up!

Best Answer

make sure you watch Cisar Millam

Best Answer

I love caesar! I have a hard time not getting super cuddly with him sometimes and I think Caesar indicates this leads to higher stress dogs. :/ I need to work on that!

Best Answer

Actually as a leader you probably don't want to be cuddly at all, which is impossible.

Best Answer

So, I got my boyfriend in on this and he can be the distant one (even though he said it will be hard) it's just reforming the way in which he talks, plays, rewards, etc. and it's pretty cool - in just a few days he has become a lot snappier with listening and a lot calmer. He doesn't freak out as much when we leave - he'll stay put in the backseat. It's pretty cool to see a noticeable change so fast. And we got some little dog treats yesterday to reinforce good behavior and train him up to do other things - apparently his breed likes mental exercises everyday as well as physical :) I can't be %100 but I'm almost positive he's got black mouth cur dominant genes. But yeah, just thought I'd share.

Best Answer

Savvy, I am happy for you guys, he will keep you and your bf in shape too

Best Answer