Serious question. I don't believe in the Christian Bible but respect peoples choice in religion. I am seeing good, close friends that I haven't seen in a long time but they are very VERY Christian. I don't want to bring up religion with them but what do you do when they pray at the table with you or say "God bless"? I cant return the favor in the same way, unless I lie. Its weird...really awkward moment! My friends are good people so I dont want to create any tension. Please help.
Psychscream Psychscream 31-35, M 8 Answers Aug 23 in Doing Good

This is difficult because it depends more on them than you. they should not put you in an awkward situation by expecting any reaction from you other than silence ... but, "witnessing" and "proselytizing" sometimes borders on the obnoxious so the only advice is to be silent and/or excuse yourself from any debates.

Best Answer

that's it I suppose. I just got to be cool, and hope they are cool back. Im hoping they also respect that I don't believe.

Best Answer

nod your your head
or just say bless

Best Answer

or may we all be blessed
or something

Best Answer

Just replace the word God with the word good. Good is the final wish of every goodwilling person, regardless their belivings about religion.

Best Answer

If you do not believe... and you are truly strong in what you believe...it shouldn't bother you. If someone says they do not believe...I'm doesn't matter to me, It does not make me uncomfortable. If I have to say my own prayer to myself...I will. No biggie.

Best Answer

Thanks John, I suppose I just got to be strong and cool, and expect my friends to be the same. I just don't want to get into a religious debate or interview. These are good friends and they should be fine with it...I hope

Best Answer

One other way to look at it...Good friends do not push beliefs on and respect what you believe...however, good friends also want to tell you about God...it's like a double edged sword. Either way, I do not think they mean harm unless of course, they go above and beyond...in which I would say time to get some new friends :)

Best Answer

That's my problem...they such good people that it would be sad to part with these friends and get new ones. Anyway...I will let you know how it goes. Should be fun.

Best Answer

Bow your head and think about your grocery list. Thank you. I wish you the best as well.

Best Answer

Lol...that's my plan:) I like it

Best Answer

Be yourself, If they pray, excuse yourself from it. let them know that you will respect and allow them to practice their faith in your presence but would like them to respect your beliefs as well.

Best Answer

You either be straight up and honest and say what you are and that you don't believe in God or you be quiet and say nothing. People tell me good luck all the time and I don't believe in no luck...I either rebuke it silently or tell them I don't believe in luck.

Best Answer