When criminals want it, don't they always get it? When something desired is outlawed, doesn't this end up putting criminals in business--and usually BIG business where they make fantastic amounts of money?
AquarianMime AquarianMime 56-60, M 6 Answers Dec 18, 2012 in Community

how about anti-trust laws

Best Answer

Laws regarding large entities and laws that apply to law-abiding companies and citizens have generally been effective. Laws that try to keep something out of the hands of criminals--when criminals really want it--have nearly always failed and have nearly always ended up empowering criminals by putting them in business and rewarding them handsomely.

Best Answer

i would hardly qualify the trusts of old as "law-abiding"

Best Answer

I made a distinction between law-abiding and large entities (which are not necessarily law abiding but are relatively easy targets of the law). What is not an easy target is the small-time criminal willing to make, transport, and sell illegal weapons, drugs, and whatever else.

Best Answer

but thats what the local governments are for , are they not? you should not disregard their heroric efforts, as you have demonstrated with your question

Best Answer

NOTHING at all.

Best Answer

Big Gulp Sodas..only in New York, though. Damn good job, guys. Damn good.

Best Answer

But it doesn't stop people from drinking too much soda anyway. It may be a start. Always, always, always, it comes back to educating and raising the consciousness of the population. Outlawing what the people desire has never worked. Outlawing what the criminals desire ESPECIALLY doesn't work.

Best Answer

You're right. It's an idiotic decision. Education is better than taking things away. Then if people still want to mess their body up by drinking big gulps every day, well, whatever..

Best Answer

Gold over a certain weight

Best Answer

Sorry. Not true.

Best Answer

Absolutely is and has been illegal and effectively enforced since th 1940's.

Best Answer

Are you saying you know for a fact that no criminal has ever gotten away with hoarding gold?

Best Answer

In 70 years I'm sure someone has, but the relative level of enforcement is probably the only example I can come up with. Pretty small success rate, I'd say.

Best Answer

To the extent the law has been successful, it has been dependent upon there not being a large demand for a gold trade. You can't sell large quantities on any street corner if you know what I mean. Guns on the other hand are another matter. If you make guns illegal, the demand and the price for them will escalate, and this will only empower criminals.

Best Answer

No doubt about it. They're flying off the shelves. I have to admit that I don't know why smith and wesson stock is actually dropping.

Best Answer

Because the long-term profitability of this company as a legal entity is in question. Legal gunmakers will see profits drop while criminals will capitalize.

Best Answer

Makes sense. I would have expected a short term spike though.

Best Answer