of the other nut butters, or nuts, to work, in my lunch pack, I should have the common decency to pack it in an air tight container, in case I happen to run into someone who is severely allergic to these things. I don't object, and I do have some airtight containers that I can use for this purpose. But, I have severe allergies to many scented hair and other personal grooming products. So does that give me the right to demand that people who use these products NOT use them in public places? Or are the only people with the right to be protected against allergens, the ones with food allergies? I am frequently forced to get off a bus and take medication to recover from an allergic reaction and to walk a few blocks to allow the medication to take effect. Just wondering. I have no intention of trying to change the laws. I am not trying to tell anyone they shouldn't wear their favourite product. I just want to know what others think of this bit of inequality.
Serenitree Serenitree 70+, F 6 Answers Sep 20, 2011

I worked in a place where a woman wore a very powerful perfume that put me in a state almost like a migrane. All I can say is I feel for you and be careful if you say much of anything.

Best Answer

I never say anything at all, I simply remove myself from the environment. It is worst on the buses as they tend to keep the windows shut, in the winter, to keep in the heat, and the summer to keep in the A/C. I only said something once, when a woman with a scent to which I was allergic sat next to me and when I started choking, told me that I should stay home if I am sick, so I don't spread my germs to everyone else. I told her I wasn't sick until she sat down next to me. She told me I was rude, and I ended up having to get off the bus at the next stop because I wasn't being rude, I was genuinely in distress.

Best Answer

gosh i remember when people used to smoke on the bus. same thing. there are a couple of scents that give me a headache, and friends know not to wear them to my house. but public spaces are tricky.

Best Answer

I feel for you. I too have a bunch of nasty allergies. I think you have the right to contact the bus company however why not try a petition first, to present to the bus company. Put up fliers with an email address created just for your petition. Then say after you get enough interest, present this. You will then have a leg to stand on. <br />
Nuts kill people sadly, and I am sure m any people are unaware of the affects scented products have on some folks and don't understand that allthought these may not kill us, they are most debilitating. I sincerely wish you luck with this. Sombody has to take a stand against all this scented product.<br />
I also believe people have become addicted to scented product.<br />
People shower with scented soap, apply scented cream, scented deoderant and then perfume or aftershave. Omg an entire fruit or flower basket...

Best Answer

Yes, I guess it wouldn't be so bad, if there was just one scent, but I get on a bus and there are many different people wearing different scents and some of them are wearing two or three different scents. I don't understand, back before I developed all these allergies, I used to wear whit shoulders. I had the bath soap, the body cream, the body powder and the cologne. All the same scent. I was called layering your scent. Now it seems to be that people will wear anything. Even if one clashes with another.

Best Answer

I had a very close friend who died from respiratory failure, (10 times in 12 years before she failed to recover when the paramedics zapped her with the paddles) She had allergies. She wasn't the type to be grounded...she said she'd rather be dead than locked up....it finally killed her. So, YES scents do kill as well as food allergies, and there are far more people with those allergies to scents than there are food allergies.

Best Answer

Around here there's signs as well as unspoken rules about refraining from wearing scented products in public places. People are typically pretty good about that sort of thing here.. well, everywhere but walmart it seems for some reason.

Best Answer

We have no such rules here. and the worst of it is, I am so highly allergic to Axe, products. The favoured product for high school boys everywhere. And I ride the buses with them daily. They feel so good in their smellies, that I wouldn't have the heart to say anything anyhow, but they do make me suffer. Including my own grandson.

Best Answer

I think you would be completely within your right to pay a visit to the bus depot and ask that signs be placed in each bus stating that people should refrain from wearing scented products, and for the bus driver to gently enforce this new rule. It won't happen immediately, but in time people will become more respectful of it. And I'm sure there are many other people that would thank you for taking the initiative.

Best Answer

You make a good point. It is kind of random the laws that are made to accommodate certain afflictions but not others. It would be difficult to ban everything that might affect anyone, but how and where to draw the line? I don't have an answer, sorry.

Best Answer

I am not really looking for a solution, just wondering if anyone else saw the contradiction and if they had run across this kind of thing in their personal lives. I know that is schools, kids have to be sure to bring products that have never come into contact with any kind of nut products. In my great grandson's school, there isn't a single child with a nut allergy, but it is simply the rule across the board. Well, it certainly make parents do some reading on the packages of food they buy for their children to take for lunch.

Best Answer

I think the difference is that nut allergies are often fatal whereas allergies to scented products, although incredibly bothersome, are typically not life threatening

Best Answer

as the wife of someone with nut allergies, i thank you for being willing to be thoughtful. (though we'd never use language like "have the common decency" lol) my husband honestly gets ill if someone eats peanuts or peanut butter in the same room with him. fortunately, that's the only food where his sensitivity is that severe. i don;t know what's wrong with people who accuse others of "faking" allergies or making them up - why would anyone fake anything so horribly inconvenient?<br />
in your workplace, though, can you take the opportunity when the food allergies are being discussed to bring up your own allergies? then it will be more obvious that the situations are similar, that you are being considerate of others, and now you need them to be considerate of you. (don't say "have the common decency" though ;) say something like "i'd really appreciate your consideration." good luck!

Best Answer

My work place doesn't have any other employees. I am a cleaning lady (private homes and nobody with food allergies) But, yes, I am willing to use airtight containers. And I wouldn't take the food out and eat it on the bus, although people do. I just was on the bus one day and some lady saw, that I had a peanut butter sandwich, (yup she was peeking into my bag.) in a ziplok bag and she told me that I should have the common decency to have it in an airtight container. I thought that those bags were airtight. But I took what she said into consideration and now carry small amounts in an airtight container instead of making the sandwich in advance. It is not an inconvenience and I really don't want to make anyone sick.

Best Answer

Well I don't want to make anyone sick either, and yet everywhere I go, people are wearing perfumes that cause me to have allergy attacks, or smoking, which triggers my asthma,

Best Answer

Well I'm also allergic to most perfumes, scented anything, pollen, cigarette smoke, scented air freshner, pet hair, so I know what you mean.

Best Answer