Last night I could have sworn I heard my son call me. I woke up and answered him. But when I checked, he was asleep. One night I woke up because I heard the cat in the litterbox scratching around. But the cat was outside. Another night I heard the front doorbell ring...I got up and looked out of the window, but no one was there. Another night, I awoke because I heard someone call my name. I don't know what to think about these kinds of dreams. They usually happen around 2 or 3 AM. They are becoming more frequent. Any ideas?
Vessa Vessa 41-45, F 9 Answers Apr 2, 2012

It’s an active imagination. Your subconscious creates images and sounds (also called dreams) when you are asleep (REM sleep). If you are not fully in that “mode” (coming out of it), you will “hear” strange sounds. Because the mind can only work with the memories contained therein, these “sounds” are very familiar to you. Sometimes people will “hear” the voices of long departed loved ones, other times they will “hear” their child or pet (especially if that thought was “active” prior to falling to sleep or if something (such as a song or TV show) triggered it.)

Best Answer

Wow!!! Excellent, as always...thank you..

Best Answer

I think I stay in REM most of the night. It's an odd thing that has been occurring over the last couple of years. My dreams seem to go on and on. I suppose the feeling that something is "calling me" is part of that- though it's odd and new.

Best Answer

Peri-menopause, perhaps or eating too close to going to bed.

Best Answer

So hormones can do this kind of thing too? Ack.

Best Answer

Had to give you thumbs up on this answer. Perhaps I have to research this myself. I am 45 in less than two weeks. Now sure what the circumstances are of peri-menopause! Thank you hunney!

Best Answer

Hormones affect every part of our lives. Scary, huh?

Best Answer

Cruel and unusual punishment. lol

Best Answer

Life sure can be!

Best Answer

Oh! I have had these types of dreams too lately!!! My Mom and Dad passed 6 months apart in 2003. And I have ad dreams of them for the last six months. Not while they were ill with Cancer, but when they were beautiful. Except for one night, my Daddy kept passing away, and the dream kept on recurring...Why did I have to keep living his death over and over?????

Best Answer

I can see having a specific type of dream about losing a beloved person. I understand- sometimes I dream about my dad. I think those dreams make sense, as you are missing someone in your life.

Best Answer

He was sickeningly looking and skeletal. Ans he loved to eat! In my dream, we had a huge argument and because of it, he had a heart attack. And I remember saying, "Oh My God Daddy I am So Sorry Love You So Much!!, Please Don't Die!!" And then the Guilt...I really did love him...

Best Answer

I think guilt can show up in dreams too. Even if it's misplaced. I think we tend to feel guilty when someone we love dies, and there isn't anything we could do to help.

Best Answer

Yes..Vessa...you are truly a person that I have always respected on EP and I thank God for you!!!!!

Best Answer

Thank you PrincessMaine. I wish you peaceful dreams!

Best Answer

.........perhaps you are a light sleeper, either that or your sub-conscious is trying to mind-phk you......

Best Answer

I tend to dream a lot- especially these last few years. Not sure what it is really.

Best Answer

...keep a diary of events. It may be something as minor as the sub-con mind trying to remind you of something - or it could be underlying stress issues. Irrespective, if it persists, consult a doc....

Best Answer

I'm starting to think it has to do with unfulfilled responsibilities...that I'm being called on in the middle of the night because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. All of the noises seem to be about being "summoned". Even the cat in the litter box, since I always did the scoop and flush whenever she would use it. Still trying to make it all out.

Best Answer

idk, try to stay up for as long as you can maybe. It might pass eventually. But i'm no expert.

Best Answer

Can't do that one. Gotta have some sleep.

Best Answer

Yes! As much rest as you need to get sweetheart!!!

Best Answer

Maybe you are stressed?

Best Answer

I'd say that's true. But I've been "stressed" for many years. It's part of being a single mom in my situation. This is new, though I guess it could be a new manifestation of stress.

Best Answer