My son will be 1 on January 7th. All he cares about is chewing, which I know to some extent is normal, but he shows no interest in placing the shapes in the holes or rings on the stacker. There are many things I have put off because he just wants to chew. He was even EATING his board books so I had to put them away. Am I hindering his developement by keeping him from things, and assuming that he isn't interesed? He walks, runs, babbles, and dances but doesn't show much interest in things like patty cake, ball rolling, or shape boxes.
FellidayaFiresong FellidayaFiresong 31-35, F 12 Answers Dec 21, 2012 in Motherhood

As long as he is being given the opportunity to do physical activities like walking, running, dancing, and is not in a high chair or play pen for long periods of time, his brain should be developing just fine..it is normal for kids his age to put things in their mouths because they learn through their sense of taste, touch, and smell.

Best Answer

Thank you. We stopped using the playpin a few weeks ago and only put him in his highchair when he eats. He won't stay if he's not eating which I am glad. He started walking early and has always been very physical natured! He's always on the go. I guess I just worry about the silly things ;-) He is one awsome boy!

Best Answer

I think as parents we tend to question things often because we want the very best for our children, so it's very natural to start worrying about things even though some people might think it's silly to worry about them..btw, thanks for choosing mine as the best answer.

Best Answer

You are quite welcome!

Best Answer

he will do it when he is ready. all my son cares about is chewing too hes teething.as long as hes walking and playing he should be ok. not all babies are the same. as long as he is making eye contact with you and is interractive there shouldnt be much concern. i know the autism epidemic has us always raising questions soon as our kids do things that may seem unusual.

Best Answer

All develop at their own rates. At a young age, they can only learn a limited number of things at once. So we walked early, but chews a lot (normal) and isn't interested in rings, etc. When his little brain is ready he will incorporate more new things. Just keep introducing things. When he is ready he will do it. Same with potty training...don't push it. When he is ready, he will let you know and you won't have a fight, it will just happen.

Best Answer

He may be teething. Sometimes teething lasts long because one tooth comes in right behind another. But he sounds fine. Is he your first? We all tend to worry more about our firsts :) And my son wasn't really into that stuff much he preferred to have me or his sisters do things for him. He's a thinker now when started to teach him to count and numbers that when he really took off. He could count by the time he was 2! Loved to count and now he's really good a math :)

Best Answer

Yes he got his first tooth at 2 months and he's been getting them one after the other until it came to the back few. I know that has alot to do with it. Thanks hun.

Best Answer

Oh and yea he's my one and only. That obvious huh? Lol

Best Answer

I've raised 5 kids, they all chew constantly at first. You sound like you're on track.

Best Answer

Thank you hun!

Best Answer

Maybe he'll grow up to be a dancing chef?

It doesn't seem like he's being held back in the least, I would just make sure he doesn't chew things that can hurt him ;P

Best Answer

Lol. Thanks. And ofcourse, I'm on constant patrol ;-)

Best Answer

Fantastic! All should be well then :]
Just an idea that came to mind btw: you could have story time during snack time, that way he'll have his fingers and teeth occupied at the same time he can learn. ;]

Best Answer

I have actually done that several times. One other thing I didn't mention is that I'm still feeding him his bottles. He just has no interest in doing it himself. So sometimes I read to him while I hold his bottle, or when he's in highchair.

Best Answer

Ah, that's fairly common actually. (I'm an aunt of 9 so I've seen it a lot)
You could try holding his hands under yours while bottle-feeding him, so he he gets used to the idea. If he fusses and refuses then set the bottle down in front of him and grab a drink of your own take a few sips and then try holding his hands with the bottle again.
It might be a slow process, but it's worth a try. :]

Best Answer

Thanks. It has worried me since "I'm suppised to wean him to a cup soon", and he is just now noticing that a sippy cup is for more than chewing. I'm told that he should be drinking from a cup independantlt by1 year. Ofcourse babies are all different. Silly little things ;-)

Best Answer

I wouldn't worry too much. :] He's not 'behind' at all.
If you said he hasn't started crawling yet or something, then I'd be worried, but not using a cup yet? No big deal :] he'll learn soon.

Best Answer

Your son sounds like a perfectly normal 1yr old..If he has a habit of putting things in his mouth, put away the things he could possible choke on..other than that enjoy his development..

Best Answer

I do keep a close watch on what goes in. Thank you so much.

Best Answer

He may need a little more time to grow. Maybe he's more interested in chewing things, which is a form of touch than to play with them. Have you shown him how to do things? Maybe get a fun toy that honks or makes a fun sound for him to play with, try getting him interested in different things.

Best Answer

Yes. I am home with him 24/7 so I try to get involved every chance I get. I show him how things go in/together, talk about colors and what I'm doing. He just grabs and... straight to the mouth. Lol

Best Answer

well.. like i said, he could need a little more time. It could also be his thing. My nephew used to do nothing but stare at sparkly or shiny stuff, he wouldn't touch anything else. It could be the same thing. If you're still concerned, you should ask a professional, see if there is anything that you should be doing but it sounds normal to me, since he's a few weeks shy of being a year old.

Best Answer

Thank you :-)

Best Answer

No problem :)

Best Answer

This is a good question for your family doctor. But I would say not to put things away. There is nothing wrong with chewing on stuff. That's what ALL kids do.

Best Answer

I didn't...

Best Answer

Thanks. I just put the books away because he wasn't just chewing, but swollowing mouths of cardboard. Lol

Best Answer

Worse things he could be eating..LOL! They all do it.

Best Answer