Mostly just progressive liberals and politicians who want to appear as such, trying to stir up trouble, who are behind the push to change the name.
dskdw25q9n dskdw25q9n 61-65, M 6 Answers Jun 29 in Community

It's really not about whether they care or not. You don't have to belong to a particular race or ethnicity to find something offensive.

Best Answer

The doctrine of standing says you are mistaken. Indians do have to care, but they don't. In particular, if you are not American Indian, then you have no standing in the dispute because American Indians alone are the only ones presumably affected by the alleged slur.

Best Answer

That is untrue. You've missed the point. If your assumption is correct, which it's not... then how on earth are you to say the name shouldn't be changed? According to your logic, the only group of people that should have any say in it are American Indians. Obviously you're not one, so what basis do you have to get on a soap box to project your narrow minded views? I mean, it shouldn't effect you right?

Sadly, you're still on a superficial level. You think it's about the name. But it's more than that. Someone with privilege such as yours world never understand.

Best Answer

Do a Google search on "doctrine of standing". Obviously, that flew right over your head because you didn't get it. It pertains to who has a right to sue. And my point was that a lot of people stirring up trouble have no standing because they are not Indian.

Best Answer

Anyone has the right to sue. You just don't agree with it. You'd never understand anyway so why fluster yourself? Your logic is faulty, but you have no idea why.

Best Answer

Sure. Anyone has a right to sue but those lawsuits can be summarily dismissed for lack of STANDING. Moreover, a financial penalty (sanction) can be entered against a plaintiff by the court for filing a lawsuit that if frivolous because the plaintiff had no standing.

Best Answer

So what percentage has to dislike a racial slur before it's cool to change the name? I mean, I get that men chasing balls is super important, but we should put a numerical value on just how much more important it is than a (supposed) minority of people who got their itty bitty feelings hurt, right?

Best Answer

A significant percentage, if not a majority. But right now, we don't even have that much. And many who complain are not even Indian. They just want a cause - any cause - where they can be seen and heard so as to keep themselves in the news.

Best Answer

Well that's a little...myopic. Look if you think it's fine to use a racial epitaph for a sport team, whatever, but implying that people are just lying about their sympathies to get attention is so self-involved. People don't all think like you. People care about different things.

Best Answer

And sometimes when people care about different things, they care about things that are none of their business. Every hypocrite who acts offended by the Redskins name probably has used other racial slurs themselves.

Best Answer

Alright, if believing that makes you feel better. Once again, I'm pretty sure you're just basing all of humanity by your own "standards".

Best Answer

Bah

Best Answer

I've always though this was a silly debate. The intent of the naming of the team was in honor of the American Indian-- not as a racial slur.<br />
I find the Chicago Blackhawks team name far more offensive; to be honest.

Best Answer

Agreed. Several teams have names that could be interpreted as more offensive than Redskins. The word, Redskins, has not always had its negative perception, as evidenced by the fact that society procrastinated decades after the team was named, before raising the issue.

Best Answer

You know any American Indians personally? Doubtful. Just a (lame) way to attack liberals and some will lamely jump onto your bandwagon

Best Answer

I don't have to know any. Neither did I claim to. I said "that is what I read". But in fact, I do know two American Indians, and they couldn't care less. Moreover, common sense should tell you that most American Indians have higher personal priorities than to obsess over what some football team is named. You know. Priorities like going to the grocery store, like the rest us, when food in the refrigerator runs low.

Best Answer

And you don't have the same priorities so care enough to post this question?!

Best Answer

It is in the national news and has been for years. You got a problem with me reading and discussing the news? Geez.

Best Answer

You got a problem with me answering questions as I wish? Geez

Best Answer

Yeah, when your answer doesn't contribute anything but instead just confuses the issue. I have no objection to you disagreeing with me. I just wish your disagreement would be based upon contentions that make a valid point, if any.

Best Answer

I made a valid point, and here you go with another lame attack. How about asking smarter questions? :)

Best Answer

You are starting to annoy me by insisting upon having the last word. I need maid service. I should make you clean my house.

Best Answer

Do I care?

Best Answer

Show me your photo, and tell me where you live. I want to meet you.

Best Answer