I tend to believe they are not always accurate insofar as if a person TRULY BELIEVES that he did not do a crime, then there will be no measure on the test. Does that separate the difference between what actually happened or what the questionee actually believes? I know, they are almost 99.9% accurate, but.......there is still that small fraction...
PrincessMaine PrincessMaine 46-50, F 8 Answers Nov 8, 2010

.1% inaccurate means there is always a doubt in peoples mind and you could not convict on that

Best Answer

Yes. And I have heard of people "tricking" the polygraph, too...

Best Answer

They can be beaten!

Best Answer

Supposedly a person can be trained to fool them; they don't detect lying as such, just an elevated physical reaction to a question, and that reaction may not be caused by lying and thus give false positives; some people simply do not react physically when they lie (I think sociopaths might be among them, but not sure). Supposedly there is a brain scan that actually registers lying, but just how accurate it is I don't know.<br />
All of which is why they're not admissible in a court of law.<br />
You're the one with the law background! LOL I'm just going by what I've read and see on TV, and those sources say no, they're not accepted as evidence. Again, with the new brain scan one, I don't know if it's as reliable as is claimed or if it's just a nice story to report on for the news.

Best Answer

Thank you Chippy, I wasn't sure if they were allowed at trial, I only knew it to be evidence agreed by both sides!

Best Answer

actually polygraph tests are not proven to be 99.9 % accurate. it's a common misbelief. they are only marginally more accurate than the old "lie detector " of eating a cheese sandwich, through the belief if you're lying your mouth gets dry and produces less saliva, so if you couldn't finish the sandwich without a drink you were lying. the readings of someone worried and scared, could be interpretated as guilty. not to mention, the readings are still completely ba<x>sed on the person who is reading them. It's an archaic method of honesty, and wrong more than people think.

Best Answer

They can be tricked with relative ease (if you know what you're doing). My Pysche teacher told me how to cheat them

Best Answer

Yea, but can you trick ME?? =)

Best Answer

Mine is 80% accuate, ask my wife. I tell her 80% of everything and keep the rest a secret, even to the lie detector.

Best Answer

Well, great if you can pull it off!! =)

Best Answer

Are the results admissible in a court of law?

Best Answer

Well, I believe that would depend on the process of discovery. Both sides would have to agree on what is being proposed as evidence at trial, whether exculpatory or not...<br /><br />EDIT: I stand corrected by Chipmunk!

Best Answer