Tomorrow when I go to see my therapist, I'm thinking I want to ask her to prescribe me anti-depressants. What I would like to know is have you ever taken them and if so what's it like and do you recommend it?
Aqua8601 Aqua8601 26-30, F 18 Answers Jan 22, 2013 in EP

Although I'm on them and like them it comes after sometimes an arduous test and trial periods to get the right dosage and pill . Be patient and open to your therapist.

I found it good to keep a daily diary of your moods so thet when you report back for followup it gives the therapist more information to help you...It's not an exact science as everyone is different...

Best Answer

If you were holding a hot coal and for some reason didn't knew how to drop it, would you like to just take some pain killers or have someone to help you drop the coal? Depending on how much it was hurting, maybe both... But if you where to choose just one, what would it be?

Not hard to decide, huh?

On matters on mental health, it's sad to acknowledge that people usually choose wrong.

Best Answer

I've used them, they can be helpful. But it's good to be monitored by your doctor to make sure of the right dosage and combination.

Best Answer

This is definitely important and a big challenge.

Best Answer

It's always worth a try, but the medicine doesn't do everything. Also, therapists don't prescribe anti depressants.

Best Answer

Agreed, and psychiatrists don't prescribe therapists (in a lot of cases). Both are required

Best Answer

Right! Many therapists recommend psychiatrists though.

Best Answer

I was prescribed anti-depressants in my early 20's and had a very bad experience with them. I tried zoloft, prozac, and finally paxil. At that time it wasn't advertised (maybe not even known) that these meds can actually intensify suicidal thoughts and behaviors in teens and young adults. That is exactly what happened to me. I became obsessed with planning my own death and did attempt to end my life more than once. Thankfully I didn't succeed. My doctors (family practitioner, psychologist, and psychiatrist...Yes I had three doctors) all were adamant that I give the drugs time and keep trying higher dosages. I choose to ignore their advice and quit taking them cold turkey... I got better, my thoughts cleared, I became me again. I have never taken an anti-depressant since and I never will again. I do realize that they do help a lot of people, they just weren't for me. Just be sure to listen to your own body and intuition if you feel something is wrong or that you're feeling worse than you did before taking them. Best wishes!

Best Answer

EP

Best Answer

They didn't/don't work for me.

Sadly that's all they'll Rx, for my chronic pain.

So I suffer.

Best Answer

i've never tried talk therapy, just drugs. each one has its side effects, along with taking the edge off the depression. when i tried going off the drugs, i crashed pretty hard after a few months, and i was glad for the relief when i went back on them. one negative is that they tend to take the edge off all the other emotions, too, so i'm kinda numb when i'm on them.

Best Answer

What every one else said. Personally, I felt they numbed me out or gave me side-effects that made me feel worse than I already did. Just make sure to report such things to your doctor.

Best Answer

I wouldn't be alive without happy pills.

Therapists only have prescription power in some states, you may need to see a psychiatrist...ask her to refer you if needed.

Best Answer

Basically the 'gloom and doom' feeling starts to lift after a few weeks (most of them take 4-6 weeks for full effect). And yes, if you need them, you need them. I'd be dead right now without them.

Best Answer

Yes I have! I recommend some, some are just generic brands!

Best Answer