I should add first we have training lessons once a week with a professional. He is well trained to... Sit,lie down, leave it, drop it and stay. And all the cute stuff like 'paw' :). I grew up with a lab from a puppy so i thought it would be okay. But i am having a hard time handling him and leave him in the kitchen 80% of the time just now because i just do not know what to do. I do not reprimand him or punish him as he is only 5 months old. But i have 'puppy proofed' my house as much as i can. But he climbs on furniture and chews up things that are not his. I know this is normal but he does it all the time. He will climb all over me even after i have had a walk and play with him and i would like to relax he will jump on me and walk over me and he is getting heavy i do not want this. If my attention is diverted elsewhere he will bark at me. I feel extremely guilty leaving him in the kitchen on his own he cries to get out. But how do i stop him wrecking my house/ stealing things. Thanks
Xxsammiejoxx Xxsammiejoxx 22-25, F 10 Answers Dec 28, 2012 in Pets

Patience, consistency, and DO NOT GUILT TRIP YOURSELF. It's sabotage. It's bad for you and it's bad for the dog.

Babies cry too. It's okay. I know it's aggravating, makes you anxious, makes you feel bad ... but that's part of being a baby and whining is part of being a dog. Show love, consistency, leadership. Take him out. Socialize him. Exercise him. Continue to check in with your behavioral specialist or trainer. He will grow out of it!

Best Answer

I just wanted to add that I've been doing dog rescue for years, and my last rescue was a handful. We trained and practiced for a good long year before he started to settle. If things are getting out of hand, try using a Thunder Shirt ... they work wonders for dogs that are easily overstimulated. Hang in there! The most stubborn dogs often end up being the most loyal.

Best Answer

Try writing to Ceasar Millano and asking advice or get one of his DVDs.

http://www.cesarsway.com

Best Answer

First of all you have to reprimand or you wont get anywhere & you'll pay for it later when he is bigger. And you have to be consistant, get him into a routine, be firm & he'll learn not to jump up or chew or anything. Have a cage for him but dont leave him in it all the time but useful to have somewhere he sees as his. Plenty of exercise, get him some of those chew sticks, bone things, but don't pull to much when u play or ul learn him to grip, labs should retrieve without squeezing what they're holding in their mouth. Good luck, they're a handful but great fun & super company

Best Answer

He's a puppy. He will be a puppy for at least another year and 1/2..and even after that he will a rambunctious dog for a few years. If you wanted a dog that will just lay there and be quiet all day, you should have gotten an old dog.

With that being said, get your dog a variety of chew toys that you can cycle every few weeks so he thinks they are new. My Boxer is very hyper, but if she has a good chew toy she focuses on her toy and not chewing other things (like my shoes or laptop charger -_- that she ate). Also, keeping him couped up in the kitchen all the time because you don't want to deal with him, and giving him attention only when he barks at you is reinforcing bad behavior. Try treating him when he is doing things you like, such as laying down quietly, or playing with his toys.

Patience is key, like others have said. There's no way to get him to stop wanting to be on you...he's a puppy and loves you, he will want to be near you. You can't stop him from wanting to play and being energetic despite walking him. Try going to a dog park that is fenced in where he can run on his own and play with other dogs. Get a ball or outside toy you can throw for him to chase to tire him out really good. If all else fails and you don't want to deal with raising a puppy...maybe find him a home that can. It's not fair to the puppy to be locked in the kitchen all the time cuz you don't want to deal with him.

Best Answer

FYI - I dealt with all the things you are dealing with and my baby girl is deaf. If a deaf dog can learn to behave and can be turned around behavior-wise after adopting without yelling and negative punishment, a hearing dog that you can talk to can be taught just as well. :-)

Best Answer

I did mention he jumps on me after walk and play time. Imhave training and play sessions with him numerous times daily. I am on about the times where i do not have the time to deal with this behaviour. After he has received the attention/ play/ walks etc. i mean he is like this all the time. He has plenty chew toys and normal toys. I am meaning he is hyper 247. It is onyl recently i have been putting him in the kitchen while i get on with what i need to do. And only let him out when i have time for him. To play or walk. What im trying to say is i would like him with me at all times even when i do not have e time to give him attention as i am busy with other things but that is when he becomes unruly. And i do have a cage for him he sleeps in it at night.

Best Answer

Here are some things that I used with my girl: when she would act up if turning my back on her didn't work and ignoring her I would try mini-training sessions with tiny pieces of treats. Just to refocus her, like sit, shake, lie down, etc. If he starts to act up again maybe try giving a frozen peanut butter stuffed kong. My last step was to put her in her kennel for a short time with it covered so she couldn't see me (it's the only way I can keep her quiet), no punishment or anger when you put him in the kennel though - you don't want him associating hisd kennel with any negative actions or feelings. Just calmly put him up. If she barked or pawed at the cage I didn't let her out. I would wait until she settled and sat or layed down and was calm before letting her out. That almost always works and she behaves because she doesn't like being away from all of the household action.

Best Answer

and for the jumping - turn your back immediately so he falls off of you and cross your arms and purp[osely do not look at him. Keep your back to him until he sits and then acknowledge him wanting attention. If he continues to jump keep turning your body so he falls off and walk away while ignoring him so he gets the hint that jumping will not get him attention. It takes time but works. You also need to let guests and friends know to do this when he jumps up or it won't work.

Best Answer

Try to stay as consistent as you can with walks and training sessions. Get a crate for him and put it where he can be near you and not feel isolated. Don't use the crate as a punishment, though. Now is definitely the time to teach him not to jump up on people...be firm with him and don't feel guilty about it!

Best Answer

Have you had him to a vet? I've heard (but do not know first hand) that allergies can make a puppy hyper and *unruly*

Best Answer

He has been to the vet a few times.about a month ago because he took an allergic reaction to his worming tablets. And i asked the vet then. They said the behaviour is normal for his age. But it drives me insane! :/

Best Answer

:) Good luck, then. You will need a lot of patience for the next year or so. He will settle down eventually, and all this will be behind you. Meanwhile, just love him and know that he will outgrow it all.

Best Answer