I believe in things we don't understand. Other states of existence are entirely possible, I just wish we could throw out the Religious nonsense that obscures serious consideration and investigation.

Best Answer

hear hear.. heartily agree

Best Answer

Me dear old mother used to say that if you took the superstition out of religion everything would be fine.

Best Answer

A paranormal, supernatural believing Atheist ! Isn't that a compound oxymoron?

Best Answer

shhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Best Answer

As an ex-religious person, I won't toss out the baby with the bathwater, but I won't be taken by hype, emotion, or what people want to be true (including myself). And in this day and age, with snake oil back on the market, a healthy dose of skepticism is useful.

Best Answer

well im kind of a closet atheist, dont tell anyone =) i do believe in ghosts because i find it impossible for a soul to just go away after death. the soul has to go somewhere. i cant imagine myself dying and never being able to think again

Best Answer

I don't believe in a God, but I definitly think there is a reality that is beyond what our senses can experience- quntum physics throws up alot of theories that if proven would probably change our whole outlook on reality...time travel, multiverses, alternate universes, all that stuff, sounds crazy but evidence now suggests that those realities are a possibility..probably blow our minds.

Best Answer

But don't you think those realities make the concept of so called spirits and spiritual beings a little easier to swallow?

Best Answer

Yes, I do, for some people that would be the case...A "ghost" might be someone living on a different reality plane, and the person seeing it might have sort of wondered through a portal for a split second and caught a glimpse of this other reality..or something like that, lol.

Best Answer

I'm open to it. I see you mention string theory; there's nothing paranormal or supernatural about that; it's a mathmatical attempt to unify quantum physics with relativity which is just now starting to gain evidence from the LHC. At it's core is the hypothesis that fundamental particles are 1 dimentional strings and from what I was reading in Nature it does seem that fundamental particles do behave in string like way and it's quite possible that in the near future we will have confirmation of string theory/M-theory.<br />
As for the supernatural by definition it's unknowable by natural means and since we're forced to worth within the bounds of nature even if there is a supernatural we can never really have evidence of it.<br />
Personally I've seen ghosts and for most people that would be enough "evidence" to probably found a whole belief system on but because I'm aware of how easy the human brain is to fool and confuse I'm aware that I can never be sure that I've actually seen ghosts. It could easily be that my brain has been tricked and without confirmation by other witnesses I cannot reasonably claim that what I saw was real.

Best Answer

Thanks for the well thought out and practical answer. I just think that string theory may erase the line that has been drawn between physics and metaphysics.

Best Answer

I think at this stage it's more that physics is erasing metaphysics or at the very least is erasing large areas of it.

Best Answer

Hmmm. *right hand grasps chin*

Best Answer

Ontology and cosmology are largely or completely subsumed by physics as is the question of determinism. In fact if you list all of the branches of metaphysics there aren't many, if any, where physics hasn't got something to say.

Best Answer

metaphysics is not quantum physics... metaphysics is new age bs, quantum physics is an actual science.

Best Answer

Metaphysics started with Aristotle, it is not new age. It is, largely, but not totally bs.

Best Answer

Nope.. it's mathematical, so it's physics, nothing meta about it. The math works, but it hasn't yet been demonstrated to be so. It sounds weird and strange, but then so are Tasmanians. (j/k guys)

Best Answer

If not, then go claim the (what is it, $6mil) prize from the skeptics society.

Best Answer

I'm not Athiest, but I'm not religious either. I believe in the paranormal and the supernatural because of what I have experienced and seen in life. Any scientist would agree with me as it's proven energy cannot be destroyed.

Best Answer

I've always held to that logic also. There's really no argument against it, that I can see. Whether kinetic or potential, energy is always there.

Best Answer

What happens when it is consumed by a black hole ?

Best Answer