thompson89 thompson89 22-25, F 12 Answers Feb 21 in Hobbies

I think if you did become a diesel mechanic, for a woman, that would be a good choice. You can't get a job and hold it if you are not good at it. You will have to be excellent, but beware it is a man dominated field. This you can use for your advantage. Imagine a good looking women who is good at what she does, and is her own person, who is intelligent that walks into a place wanting to work as a diesel mechanic. Be aware those men will test you second by second, and if you can handle it you can go far.

Best Answer

Do you like to be oiled,how about greased,kidding don't be a panic mechanic,the world is now on the issue of equal gender ba<x>sed on jobs opportunities,gone are the days when a woman was suppose to be a baby making machine only then rely on a husband to provide,You need to be a GO get er,its only a perception that only a man can be a mechanic its more about being ambitious to hold that big spanner tight and turn it to your advantage,using leverage,in the army some women are mechanics and more though than some men out there,thus it pays a fortune,don't listen to nay sayers after all you can open your own workshop and live big so what are you waiting for,Go break new grounds out there(its a great thought)

Best Answer

You are very inspirational!! I love getting dirty! And yes that's what I'm planning to do! Right from home! I have a huge shop with nothing in it! I'm going to!! I WILL be diesel mechanic soon! NO MORE wondering if I can do it! I will do it! Thank you!

Best Answer

Do one thing carry a plastic diesel can around ur waist and walk out and people ask then u say "i m diesel mechanic" they will believe u

Best Answer

And the problem is?

Best Answer

My husband is a rig welder so I was hoping to get my work from the guys he works with! Hard to find trusting mechanics, grew up working in a junk yard but it was tearing down cars rather than fixing them! I'm small but can do a mans job! Just didn't know if my little experience would be.... I guess excepted?!

Best Answer

Have you tried college, there are plenty of courses for men and women (it's not the dark ages you know lol), failing that, get a book from the library, teach yourself, part time job as a mechanic etc. There is a whole world out there. could your father and or brothers, if you have them, help you? I hope this helps you on your way to achieving your goals, Mechanics is intereting, something I must get into at some point

Best Answer

There is nothing wrong with your sex but a mechanic is dirty work, the best options to consider are whether to go for agricultural, marine or the public service sector. Even though the engines are similar the aspects are different.

Best Answer

I actually grew up a wrecker driver/worked in junk yard. Love getting dirty.. But if I'm small will it be more challenging? Have lost of experience tearing cars down just no experience fixing them. And my husband is a welder/supervisor so I was hoping that, that would get my foot in the door with all the rigs that he works around.

Best Answer

Ok, and when I was refering to dirty I was actually refering as to how the oil and deisel eat into your skin. I used to work on boat engines, and some days I swear I can still smell the mix of diesel and bilge water.
I would sugest that you try and get as many qualifications as you can.
When I was younger it was easy you could just start working for a company, basic stuff like sweeping the floor then you could then progress from there. Nowadays people want you to have all the qualifications, but still will not give you the work because you have no experience. So maybe your husband might be able to help there.

Best Answer

I really appreciate you taking the time out to talk to me! Should I get to know more about the diesel before I got to school? I've wanted this since I was little, been one of my dreams! One that I don't wanna fail in! Trying to figure out the best way to approach it! And again thank you!

Best Answer

Every little bit of knowledge will always help you, Thankfully the basic diesel engine is very simple compared to the petrol engines. Once you understand the basics as to how they run you can then understand about the conversions to bio fuels, turbos etc.
I am sure that your passion for it will take you far, especially as you come to understand the engine better.

Best Answer

I can name everything on an engine! And basically now what it does! But understanding why is where I'm clueless! And I heard diesels where harder?!

Best Answer

Yes they are harder, but only in the quality of metal because they work under compression not a spark, hence why the petrol engines are very soft.
But you do not have to worry about the electrical system which is the main factor in petrol engines.
Bleeding the fuel system on a diesel is easy.
There are less things to go wrong with a diesel and that makes them a whole lot easier.

Best Answer

Ooh ok that makes all the since in the world!!! I now know I can do this! I was scared that they were very complicated! But now I'm more interested in learning! Thank you!!!

Best Answer

That is ok. I am sure that there are plenty of websites that will help you as well.
Take care and I wish you all the best for the future.
Oh one piece of advice...If you ever have an over revving diesel engine, Stick a rag into the air intake, it is the only way to kill the engine. If that does not work, run like mad, because they will explode.
Take care once again and I wish you all the best for your future.

Best Answer

Lol!!! It's now permanently imprinted in my mind! I will take that advice!! :) and thank you!

Best Answer

Apply to offshore drilling company or a power plant?

Best Answer

Nashville TN has one of the best schools in the nation. That's a good start. Do it right and get your paper work to help. If not you will be under paid or not hired at all.

Best Answer

go for it it might be tough to be in a guys world but some gals are better at it so go for it if you want it

Best Answer

My sister went to mechanic college but it is hard physical labor and she wasn't strong enough to do some things easily.

Best Answer