I know Christmas isn\'t about gifts....but try explaining to an 8 year old why he is the only child in his class that didnt get any. See how fun that one is.
HolyDrumstickofLove HolyDrumstickofLove 26-30, M 8 Answers Dec 25, 2013 in Parenting & Family

Not this Christmas, but been there before. Its the low times that teach you what its really about!

Best Answer

Think intangibles.

Best Answer

No, there has always been a way, even when I couldn't afford to buy them. There are charities. Last year I was volunteering at a church and got on their Christmas toy store list. They let you pick out two large and two small gifts per child, plus they gave me a big box of food and a ham. I wouldn't have been able to give my daughters anything if it hadn't been for them. While volunteering there I learned just how many small, local charities do this sort of thing, so there's really no excuse for not giving them something if it means that much to you. That's what it all comes down to. If I had no money or gifts for my girls I'd do something special instead. We have very little money this year but we've made cookies and watched shows. They each got a little something and we are all happy today.

Best Answer

Everyone talks about these charities.....hell, I wish we had that stuff around here....we don't. We have one but you have to be unemployed to qualify for the christmas gifts and you have to be a senior citizen to qualify for the food.

Best Answer

What cold heartless place do you live?

Best Answer

Be Texas.

Best Answer

Bfe*

Best Answer

Small town I'm guessing? That would suck. There are over a hundred charities focused on helping the poor at holidays in Memphis TN alone. Not a single one of them requires you to be unemployed. You don't even have to bring proof of income, but you do have to have a valid state ID for many of them.
I started picking up little things back in February of last year. I got a few kid books at Goodwill for a quarter each. My youngest wouldn't even know they weren't new. I just put things away all year for them. I don't give them anything big. My oldest I got a jar of coconut oil and made her a sugar scrub in a sour cream container. She liked it enough. You have to get creative if you have children. You can't wait until the last minute next year.

Best Answer

Yeah....it's just been one long year of barely making it. I was counting on the same Christmas bonus I got last year to do my shopping, but the boss didnt give it this year for whatever reason.

Best Answer

I'm in agreement with the other posts... as much as it might bother you, this is a perfect time to teach your children what Christmas is all about! And there are things that you can do, that will mean much more to them than what ISN'T under the tree :) Tell stories, spend time together, play games, find the spirit that gives true meaning to the holiday. Merry Christmas!

Best Answer

You should have signed up for a program like The Angel Tree. They provide donated holiday gifts for needy children.

Best Answer

I wish we had a program likeb that here. The only one we do have you have to be unemployed to qualify for.

Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear that.

Best Answer

I've been there, believe me. But I made up for it after receiving my tax refund and paying off bills, whatever was left went to a belated Christmas for my son. He understood and was happy he had Christmas when nobody else did.

Best Answer

If you love them, they understand. Wouldn't you?

Best Answer