imsohappynow imsohappynow 26-30, F 6 Answers Nov 3, 2012 in Motherhood

Maybe in some district where they have made questionable hiring choices...

Best Answer

This teacher is really strict and we have great communication. I initially liked her being strict. But i think this is extremely questionable.

Best Answer

I don't think so. <br />
Sometimes it just takes kids awhile to get used to the routine in a new school year. They catch up as they get back into the swing of school and do better.<br />
Teachers want kids to do well .. there's no reason for them to downplay grades .. part of their job is to build kids up ..

Best Answer

I get that. But i feel that the teacher could have downplayed any grades BUT reading. That is my daughters strong suit. She has made so many accomplishments. It makes no sense. She is beyond gifted in reading. So for her to say needs improvement BAFFLES my mind. It's second grade, she reads at a 6th grade level...I am not one of those parents who's kid can do no wrong.

Best Answer

maybe the teacher means she has a hard time comprehending

Best Answer

They had a section for comprehending seperate. But she has put needs improvement on that as well. Although i don't agree on that either, i understand that maybe i don't know 100%. But her fluency is extremely high. We have a kids book club that we started and we speak about the books we read.

Best Answer

Just talk to the teacher when you meet with her. That's the only way you're going to get the answer to this.

Best Answer

ohhhhhh...good observation....never thought of that. But you may very well be correct. I could see that happening

Best Answer

I was so frustrated i was looking on the internet and seen other frustrated parents who felt the same way. I agreed with the entire report card until she said needs improvement in reading. I mean, should she be reading at college level??????? We read novels together and she is in second grade.

Best Answer

It didn't happen to me, as my grades were very similar between quarters, but some teachers might do it.

Best Answer

My daughter is in 2nd grade. She got needs improvement on reading and comprehension. Now, last year she was in the gifted program, she published a book in the library at the school, and she writes poems and reads regularly. She has been reading since she was 3 yrs old. Im kinda pissed. Parent teacher conferences on Monday....I have a bone to pick (in a nice/polite way..so i can get my answers). I NEED HARD PROOF THIS IS A FAIR GRADE

Best Answer

Sounds paranoid. All throughout my schooling, I received the grade I worked for. There was only an exception with Art classes, in which when you try your best and it's not too clean, some teachers mark you down. But if you talk to other parents and they don't share your concern... it's just coincidental (and quite normal/natural) that your child improves over time. Heck, I would do much better near the end of a marking period when I would notice my grades were slipping. Very common in school kids.

Best Answer

Im not paranoid but we all have different school experiences. Just because you were treated fairly does not mean everyone was. I look at her homework, i recognize her skills. We read for hours upon end. You can't tell me she needs improvement when most 7 year olds are reading dr. suess we are reading books with 15 chapters. SHE HAS A BOOK PUBLISHED IN THE SCHOOL LIBRARY. you should be able to see why i would question this one "grade". I am not questioning math..where i agree she needs improvement.

Best Answer

I was not assuming everyone was treated fairly. *shrug* I haven't had all good experiences, and I know other people haven't either. That was just my initial reaction to the title question, because I see kids slack off in the beginning and then suddenly kick it into high gear a lot. They did it gradeschool all through college, never failed.
Also.... I am not assuming I know anything about your child. Your child was not even in the question (until now), so please do not feel the need to scold me about attacking you on that. I was just answering your question honestly with my own experiences, which is what all of us are doing here.

Best Answer

Its all a ruse to pretend children are learning something while they are being dumbed down and trained to be regimented surfs.

Best Answer