I drive a 2005 Honda Civic LX. I got it in 2006 used. Since then I've lived in Utah, Nevada, Korea and North Carolina (took car to all places). We've just recently got a new alternator, battery and air filter. We had the oil changed about 6 weeks ago and the tires are all new Hankook Tires (purchased in korea which was a rip off!) and we keep them at the pressure recommended. However lately my car is suddenly using a lot of gas. I put 13.5 gallons in the car yesterday and have maybe driven the car 35-45 miles today at most and im already down to 1/2 tank. Any ideas why its suddenly burning fuel so quick? My car has usually gotten 33-36 miles per gallon. There is no gas leak ... what could it be? ** my gas mileage as dropped horribly has nothing to do with cost of gas. my car takes a little over 14 gallons of gas. yesterday i put in 13.4 gallons which put it over the full like on my gauge, now my gauge is at the half point. 1 day of driving and only driving 45ish miles in one day shouldnt drop my gas tank to half a tank from a full tank. again this has nothing to do with the price of gas but with how much gas my car is burning.
ProudArmyWife2007 ProudArmyWife2007 22-25, F 11 Answers Jan 7, 2011

IT probably is just the price you have to pay at the pump is more than you are used to.My local gas station went from $2.99 @gallon to $3.08 @gallon OVERNIGHT!!!!

Best Answer

Needing a tuneup

Best Answer

Does it have a plugged O-two censor?

Best Answer

Prices are going up all the time,maybe that is the answer.

Best Answer

As the price of gas goes up it becomes a more valuable commodity to steal. Maybe someone is siphoning gas from your tank at night...buy a locking gas cap and see what happens to your fuel consumption.

Best Answer

I'm not a mechanic like insomniacSeven, yet my guess is to have a different mechanic do an overall check of your car. Maybe something wasn't hooked back up properly when they changed the alternator. I had a mechanic put a new tire on the wrong way when they checked my brakes. When I took my car in again, another mechanic caught the mistake. My tires are all black and it wasn't that noticeable. Maybe my original mechanic was in a rush or distracted and made the mistake. That is possible for you too.

Best Answer

maybe you have a leak in your gas tank

Best Answer

If I had to guess, it's the O2 sensor. Is there a "check engine" light?

Best Answer

Chances are it needs the air filter replaced.

Release the hand break! You would be surprised at how many people will drive with it on and not no it.

Have you been driving under the same conditions as normal? In the same area?

If it is an automatic transmission,check your fluid level. Could the tranny be slipping?

Does the car feel as if it has as much zip as normal? Does it feel some what sluggish?

Time for a tune up!

Best Answer

change the air filter, fuel filter, change the oil, get a tune up, make sure the tires have the right pressure and use a fuel additive.

and drive more cautiously, if possible.

Best Answer