Okay, what I'm getting at is; Do you ever feel embarrassed or awkward when you tell them your life story?
puck61 puck61 51-55, M 25 Answers Jan 7, 2013 in Self Improvement

I want to see a therapist i'm just too afraid they'll commit me

Best Answer

These days they don't commit people very easily because of budget cuts in that area. I came real close in 03. Did you know they read you the Miranda act when you're about to be committed?

Best Answer

whoa thanks for the info maybe I will go see one

Best Answer

whats that commitment thing?

Best Answer

no maybe, if you feel you need 1 go 4 it

Best Answer

commit me to a sanitarium

Best Answer

OK, I admit my last gf was a mental health professional. But, she had a lot of issues and we broke up.

Best Answer

I have been seeing mental health professionals for the past fourteen years on account of two of my children needing help, as well as my husband. I see them at least once a month and as often as once a week. They have to have your history; they cannot do their job without it. They do have to know if you have thoughts of self harming. No-one trying to recover likes being asked those questions, but they are only being responsible. I know my adult son absolutely hates having to give his story to someone new, and hates having to admit in front of me that he has suicidal thoughts. And I also hate having to intrude on his sessions to make sure the psychiatrist fully comprehends the gravity of the situation. But the carers have to be responsible and accountable.

Best Answer

I see a psychiatrist once a year to take Seroquel for insomnia. But I don't get involved in telling my life story.

Best Answer

I did therapy, I gave up but you are supposed to be wide open as possible with a therapist. If you feel weird at some point, it means the chemistry is not there for you to open up and get the help needed. All sums up to keep searching a right one.

I once gave an answer to a therapist who charged me $90/hr that I was single, she twisted her face as if I was not suppose to. A therapist has no judgement on you, your story or whatever

What’s this thing about commitment? musicbook says sumething important: psychiatrist are not psychotherapist or psychologist. The 1st if for meds and 2nd is to help rebalance the area of you life that is affected

Best Answer

luv ya 4 taking the step :)

Best Answer

Luckily I get my "treatment" and medicine through the VA, so I don't pay. I would never be able to afford it otherwise.

Best Answer

sweet :)

Best Answer

I would be too embarrassed to even go see one let alone tell anyone about it.

I don't know if it would be pride or shame on my part.....most likely fear.

Best Answer

No problem at all Puck , Memory regression therapy helps to regain my lifes story ,

Some of which is a mute point now in present day life .

Best Answer

Yeah. The past is past.

Best Answer

Quote the beatles : Whisper words of wisdom , Let it be .

Best Answer

Yes, I've been seeing someone for the last few decades. The person I work with now I started going to in 2000. She's as much like a life coach as anything else, and invaluable.

Best Answer

Most people I meet in real life I end up having them spill their life story to me. I don't know what I say or do and they never seem to understand why they trust me... I have been with and helped people who have needed to or did see mental health professionals. I can tell you this if you don't feel like telling them about it they probably aren't the person you will really reveal everything too anyway. Perhaps find another one who makes you feel more comfortable?

Best Answer

I would be....but I've never been to one

Best Answer

I am not at the moment, but I have and as I have learned that most people have horrible thoughts from time to time and bad things that have happened to them and/or that they have done, I have become more able to be open with therapists. I doubt I could come up with anything that they haven't heard before.

Best Answer

I have a psychiatrist I see for my depression and a gender counsellor I deal with about my transgender issues. All thru the VA hospital

Best Answer

I am looking for a therapist/counselor right now.

Personally, I don't have a problem telling someone like that anything that needs to be said. That's what they're there for and I'm sure they've heard it all at one time or another.

Best Answer

I'm afraid I'll be committed so I limit what I tell them. Also I go to a psychiatrist who really isn't interested in going too deep. Just a few hard facts and he's good to write a prescription. In truth- I would like to see a therapist instead on a regular basis.

Best Answer

Most people aren't aware that psychiatrists are regular medical doctors who are experts on prescribing psychiatric medications. Psychiatrists aren't therapists. I've worked with psychiatrists who never even took a psychology course! It's not a requirement. I'm a psychotherapist. If I think a client needs meds, I send them to a psychiatrist. I have never committed a client against his/her will. I have convinced a few to commit themselves, but only a few.

Best Answer

Yeah I've learned that over the years. But the few therapists that I have tried seemed to dig and drill for things that aren't there. I suppose it's a matter of hit or miss just like so many things in life.

Best Answer

The VA people ask real personal questions. The make me question whether I have mental health issues or I'm just a dumb ***.

Best Answer

no, and boy do I have some doozies to tell them.

Best Answer

I like the therapy I get from my fellow EPers!

Best Answer

Me too. This place has been great for me, even if I do spend a lot of time arguing. : )

Best Answer

I saw a therapist for almost 5 years and I felt as if I was getting no where. At first I felt ackward then I comfortable. How long have you been seeing yours?

Best Answer

about 7 years, but not the same one. It's with the VA. They've changed my Dr. about 6 times.

Best Answer

That has to be frustrating. I stopped going I thought they would teach me tools to deal with certains things in my life that cause me stress but she never really did and I felt like I was going just to chat. I have friends I can chat with so I thought I am not going to spend my money on this anymore.

Best Answer