righteouschica righteouschica 18-21, F 10 Answers Nov 2, 2012 in Habits

No stereotyping is actually a very advanced mechanism for dealing with people and classifying them. Without it you would probably not survive very long or get very far in life. We have no way of being able to get to know every single person, those that can rely on cues (stereotypes) are able to process a larger amount of people then those with poor classification systems.

Best Answer

I beg to differ. Exactly how is stereotyping going to help me get far in life?

Best Answer

I think you are fixated on the racial aspect of Stereotyping, I was speaking in the more general aspect. I am sure if you think about it you will be able to come up with several examples where you have looked at someone and brought a set of preconceived ideas who this person is. While you might not have been right every time, you came out more often right then wrong.

Best Answer

Fair enough.

Best Answer

Everyone stereotypes. The trick is that if you train yourself, you can recognize and dismiss stereotypes. So when you start thinking "Oh that person is from Korea, he's good at math" you can then go "Wait, that's a racist stereotype. I have no idea." and eventually those stereotypes fade. But our brain is built to stereotype, so we have to out think our brain.

Best Answer

The really stupid ones are given someone elses stereotype to believe about the subject.

Best Answer

this is true!

Best Answer

I'm not sure of your criteria for "best". Do you mean they create the most accurate stereotypes?

Best Answer

no, that they tend to do it more than others.

Best Answer

then, given the fact that stereotypes are bad, doing more of it isn't being best at it. I think

Best Answer

well, true :P

Best Answer

because dumb people don't talk about events or facts, they talk about other people

Best Answer

No. You forget that not all stereotypes are false.

Best Answer

really? how so. enlighten me.

Best Answer

Not all stereotypes are untrue, some have actually been proven by science. Maybe you've forgotten, but the reason that stereotypes exist is because the general population (through race or moreso gender) tend to display the same behavior and thought pattern. If all stereotypes were false, there wouldn't be any stereotypes.

Best Answer

Everyone stereotypes to one degree or another. You're stereotyping when you say foolish people do a certain thing. lol

Best Answer

I didn't say they do it. I asked it if they do it. There is a difference ;)

Best Answer

I was just illustrating the point. lol

Best Answer

point taken. :P

Best Answer

I think it is the foolish who resist it.

Best Answer