Two parts: Part one, my parents say that I'm not trying hard enough to cure my depression and that I am doing things to make it worse...etc. could they be right or do they just not understand? Part two: this morning my parents got really upset at me because I didn't ask to use the car last night for work today. I tried to explain that when I got home, i immediately went to sleep because I was exhausted, but they said, I should have looked for them and asked them before I went to sleep. Thoughts?
Wynn42 Wynn42 22-25, F 10 Answers Jul 8, 2012

As a parent of a child who suffered depression I can see it from both sides.<br />
They probably feel frustrated by your depression because they don't have a deeper understanding of what it is to be depressed. When it first happened to my child I could't come to terms with the fact that someone with so much to live for and such a great life would be depressed but as I got to know more about it I accepted it more readily and I was more supportive.<br />
However you cannot expect allowances for failing to tell them about something simple like you were using the car whatever your circumstances. That may not be the case but they may feel you are using it as a 'get out' clause for failing to tell them stuff like that.<br />
Even if you were really tired if they were up it would only take seconds to impart that information so I can see their point of view too. If you don't feel like talking to them or telling them that kind of info when you get in at night then maybe SMS them earlier in the evening next time, if its their car and maybe they need it then its only polite.<br />
One thing I would maybe suggest if you think even one of them may be open to the idea is to give them a book ba<x>sed on depression and peoples experiences for them to read, it gave me so much more of an insight and changed my view on the illness.

Best Answer

Thanks. As much as I hate to admit it, you may be right. :/ I appreciate a view from a parent. I don't know how they will react in the future, but for now, they are in the beginning phases of just learning that I have depression

Best Answer

As parents we often feel helpless when we can't do something positive to help our kids and I NEVER felt more lost and helpless than when my child was depressed,it was heartbreaking but it took time for me to grasp how she was feeling and to understand that it had nothing to do with how well she did in College or how many guys she had hanging on her every word. I get it now and it makes it much easier to talk to her about it.
I made too many allowances at times which is why I can see where your parents are coming from with the car issue, whether it seems petty or not its obviously something they expect you to adhere to as it is their car and its a privilege to be allowed to use your parents car and they probably thought you were taking it for granted. Good Luck with it all.

Best Answer

Are you taking medication? Regularly? What exactly are you doing or not doing ( according to your parents) that is hindering your progress?

Best Answer

Part one. Way too vague. What are you doing to cure your depression and why do they say you ain't doing anything about it? By the way, you do not "cure" depression". You have it treated and hope for a good result.<br />
What do they think will "Cure" your depression? Trying is a big part of it.<br />
If you are depressed, who gives a shite about the car stuff?

Best Answer

What are you not doing that you're supposed to be doing about your depression ? As far as the car is concerned, why don't you have your own car by now ?

Best Answer

Part one: They could be right, it depends what you're doing.<br />
Part two: Next time just ask them if you can use the car.

Best Answer

Are you going to counseling? It's very difficult, if not impossible to "cure" depression, but there are steps you can take to manage it.

Best Answer

oh ok. I guess I wasn't really sure if there were ways to "make it better" or "worse" I just thought I had to kinda go with it and try not to do anything stupid....No I am not going to counseling. I have been forced to go to counseling throughout my life and I have never found it useful

Best Answer

You have to be willing for it to work in order for it to work. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Best Answer

like hypnotism? Huh. Never thought about it that way...Wow. That's really obvious. :p

Best Answer