RainbowDalia RainbowDalia 18-21, F 8 Answers Dec 3, 2013 in Community

I live on an indian reservation, and there is poverty, but there is also wealth, just like anywhere else.

Best Answer

Thank you for your direct insight, I just wanted to learn and clear out some things I've heard.

Best Answer

I've heard them also. Native Americans Drink, and gamble all day, they don't work, they're real poor, etc... Truth is that reservations are sovereign land, with a sovereign government, and those who decide to do self governance have sovereign immunity. Banks wont lend us money because they can't collect if we default, because we have our own police, with our own laws, and our own jails. That makes it harder for us to do home improvements, and other things that people might consider "wealth" but all in all there are people that do really well.

Best Answer

Do they have good education system and hospitals?
I'vs been looking into being a nurse and many people suggest to go to NA reservations, I don't know why.

Best Answer

We have tribal colleges, but I wouldn't call them "good." We also have an IHS facility (Indian Health Services). But most of the people that work there are because they are just starting and wont get hired without experience or just wont be hired anywhere else. My son got sick took him there for a month, and they kept giving him Tylenol, and then I took him to the real doctor in town, and they gave him a little pill, and he was all better. So to answer the question, we don't have good hospitals, clinics or colleges.

Best Answer

I understand, do you think that could change?

Best Answer

Not in the near future. We would need a visionary, someone with an unmatched genius, that is also willing to deal with all the adversities such a drastic change will come with.

Best Answer

Most of them, yes.

The problem with the casinos are they are built and run by the same casino folks who run Las Vegas and Atlantic City (who are the only ones who know how to run a casino). The most desirable jobs are given to Las Vegas folks while the Indians get to clean toilets and wash dishes. When all is said and done, the syndicate pays themselves and turns what's left over to the Indians. The Indians in power get to decide how to best divide the profits. The poor pretty much stay poor... same as white folks and black folks.

Best Answer

terribly, except for the casinos.

Best Answer

Why is it? Do you know?

Best Answer

Lots of theories, but they basically just haven't been managed well. Normally, folks with initiative wind up leaving. The schools are terrible. There is a lot more prejudice in certain parts of the country toward native Americans than most of us realize.

Best Answer

Not the rich ones

Best Answer

Naw...

Welcome to Galt's Gulch

Best Answer

no, but many of the people who live on them are. That's how so many were convinced to build casinos and such which come with their own problems.

Best Answer

I always hear that the reservations are the poorest places in the US

Best Answer

well, there are actually many poor places in the US. Reservations were designed to isolate the native peoples and extinguish as much of what remained of their culture as possible... They are literal rural ghettos, and were always intended to be

Best Answer

There are 19 Indian pueblos in New Mexico. I have visited most of them and have friends in some. Some Indians make a better living than others but there is definitely a lot of poverty on reservations.

Best Answer

Banks don't loan money onto reservations because they can't come collect their asserts when it isn't paid. That effectively prohibits residents from building decent housing, creating good businesses, etc.

The NA people would be a lot better off if the reservations were all converted to regular corporations having no more and no less rights than anyone else.

Best Answer

So that's why? I

Best Answer

Gotta ask Jacob black LOL

Best Answer

Ha ha

Best Answer