jeffpolara jeffpolara 46-50, M 13 Answers Oct 28, 2012 in Parenting & Family

It is both. The good people are getting better, nicer, more accepting, etc. while the bad people are getting nastier, ruder, etc. It seems to be a balance to me but the balancing weights are moving to the extremes of the scale.

Best Answer

In the last 40 years the rich have steadily gotten richer, the poor poorer, and the middle class has struggled harder each year just to keep their heads above water. It's gotten so bad 400 people now own more than half the country combined and 47 people just contributed 40% of the funding for the presidential election superpacks. Any pretense of civility is going the way of the dodo bird as the dog-eat-dog reality hits home and even a presidential candidate can get away with blatantly saying he doesn't care about 47% of the population.

Best Answer

there are a few of us still around

Best Answer

You must be reading my mind. People have turned rude and have their own hidden agendas or so it seems. Right when you trust and think someone is caring etc, they throw you a whammy :(

Best Answer

I think the in your face attitude is popular. Even someone talking on their mobile 9/10 they have to be LOUD. Also more technology for us to vent on, years ago just the land line or write a letter. Now you can text, twitter, vent on social sites etc. It is instant and perhaps with a cooling down time, certain things would never have been said or shared with the world forever.

Best Answer

I often try to be mildly humorous, hopeful that my sardonic wit doesn't hurt but sometimes I may go to far. If I do, and the questioner "takes me to task" I apologize.<br />
The only time I'm nasty and my sardonic wit changes from sceptically humorous to mockingly nasty is if the person's "agenda" (often cowardly) seems to be aimed to be hurtful just for the sake of hurting someone on EP for no reason whatsoever.

Best Answer

I don't think people are any nastier than they were 100 years ago. They just express it differently.

Best Answer

I think that people are becoming less moral. I think they are more stressed and have less fulfilling relationships. I think their priorities are often more about themselves and is more tightly wrapped into their own small circles. I believe there is a lot more distrust and cynicism. I think that translates into less motivation to have good manners or to treat other people well. <br />
Do they still teach The Golden Rule any more? I don't know.<br />
Somehow, it seems as if people are losing their footing....lacking a type of security that allowed them to be easygoing and to maybe have a general feeling of trust about other people.

Best Answer

Seems like we are coming to the end of an age. Post Industrial. People are stessed out because of the economy and generally disillusioned because consumerism was a lie.

Best Answer

Yes. But I think it runs much deeper than that. :)

Best Answer

Yea it's kinda sad that the fonz isn't around any longer .

Best Answer

Ayyy.

Best Answer

2 thumbs up .

Best Answer

Yes they are.

Best Answer

Usually when I come across someone that is being nasty it is because they've been in a lot of pain for a long while.

Best Answer