SpiritOfTheRabbit SpiritOfTheRabbit 31-35, F 13 Answers Jun 7, 2012

I'm not a religous person, but I always understood that the duty of a priest in confessional is not to disclose anything they are told, but to counsel the confessor on appropriate action in this type of event - and possibly to grant absolution only if the person does what is "right".

Best Answer

Yes

Best Answer

The priest can repeat absolutely nothing that is said in confession. They can tell no one. They can take no action or say anthing that may reveal what was said in confession.

Best Answer

Apparently, priests can do whatever they feel like. (As long as people keep putting dough in the legal fees basket)

Best Answer

i don't trust any of them at all god will forgive me for any thing i do so why do i need them

Best Answer

You mean priests acting as police informers!<br />
And won't it be a breach of trust? People may stop confessing.

Best Answer

I don't think that they do.

Best Answer

I know they are compelled to tell if they hear that the person is planning to kill someone, because they must try to prevent it, but they are bound by the confessional to keep it confidential if it is a deed already done. If they can't prevent it they can't tell anyone. Unless they killer confesses to a murder, and then a second and a third, (and they are all proven to be true) and a pattern appears which indicates that it isn't likely to stop, then the priest is bound to try to prevent any more from being done. Sticky stuff, confessions.

Best Answer

no, the secrecy of confession is sacred

Best Answer