A Palestinian official says President Mahmoud Abbas agreed to restart peace talks with Israel only after receiving a letter from the U.S. secretary of state guaranteeing that the basis of the negotiations will be Israel's pre-1967 borders. The official said Saturday that the letter from Secretary of State John Kerry to Abbas also stipulated that both the Israelis and Palestinians must refrain from taking any steps that would jeopardize the outcome of the talks. The official says Israel is not to issue new tenders for West Bank settlements, while the Palestinians are to refrain from pursuing diplomatic actions against Israel at international organizations.
flipper1966 flipper1966 56-60, M 3 Answers Jul 20, 2013 in Politics

Probably. But then, I thought Communism in Eastern Europe/the USSR would last my lifetime. Never occurred to me that it wouldn't. It was gone by the time I was 35.

Best Answer

I fear so. One is belligerent the other is weak!

Best Answer

I think that as long as the US economically and militarily backs Israel, the talks will ultimately fail. Not making a judgement here, just calling it like I see it.

Best Answer

The US has unblocked almost $500 million in aid to the Palestinian Authority as it faces its worst economic crisis in years. The move comes months after Congress froze Palestinian aid in response to its bid for non-member observer status at the UN.
“To date, we have moved $295.7 million in fiscal year 2012 money…and $200 million in fiscal year 2013 assistance,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement.
The first sum comprises around $195.7 million, allocated under the 2012 fiscal year budget for US Agency for International Development (USAID) economic, development and humanitarian assistance, as well as a further $100 million allocated to narcotics control.
The second sum of $200 million will come under the 2013 budget and be spent for direct budget support.

Best Answer