Sesi1990 Sesi1990 22-25, F 5 Answers Nov 25, 2012 in Community

Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting, otherwise you are setting yourself up for another dose of whatever you forgave. It means setting a boundary so that it doesn't hurt you any longer and not to plot revenge.

Best Answer

My dear, why hold on to resentment if you've forgiven?

Best Answer

Remembering is not resentment if I've made peace

Best Answer

It is. Can you remember without feeling resentment? Those that insist on saying they've forgiven are simply in denial. They're too ashamed to admit to themselves that they haven't really forgiven.

Best Answer

Forgiveness doesn't mean becoming brain-dead. It means that although you won't forget, you are willing to let it go. As CherokeePatti said, if you forget the harm done, you will let it happen again.

Best Answer

You don't have to remember the bad done to you in order to prevent it from happening in future, that happens automatically. Your subconscious immediately register that you should avoid that. You are fooling yourself if you think that by remembering you are forgiving, it isn't possible.

Best Answer

Okay. You have your mind made up.

Best Answer

Forgive but don't forget

Best Answer

Then you haven't forgiven. To forgive means to let go of resentment towards. Is it possible to recall harm done to you without feeling resentment? If you can honestly answer "yes" to that question, then your refusal to forget is justified.

Best Answer

Then you have not truly forgiven-you still harbor resentment- I haven't spoken to my mother in years b/c I can't let it go

Best Answer

If you've ever forgiven someone who repeatedly takes it as a green light to try more evil things then you will know the difference between forgive and forget

Best Answer

She views making peace as weakness- f her

Best Answer

You see! I am glad you realize that.

Best Answer

wish i learned it sooner

Best Answer

You stop being their friend, the forgive and let go. Either that or keep forgiving or letting go. The very definition of forgiveness is letting go of resentment towards, and if you haven't let go of resentment, how can you claim you've forgiven? The very reason that you decide to hold on to that resentment is to bring it up in future, and that defeats the purpose of forgiveness.

Best Answer

Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how people can feel that way. I'm not perfect, but I don't delude myself about forgiveness.

Best Answer

I never claimed to have forgiven her

Best Answer

And you're wise for doing so. Forgive in your own time, but don't lie to yourself and say you've forgiven when the resentment still remains.

Best Answer

my mother is an endless well of resentable offenses

Best Answer

Resentment doesn't mean you haven't the ability to forgive. <br />
I resent not having a chance to have normal life style .....but still, I have forgiven.

Best Answer

It does. How can you recall something bad done to you without feeling resentment?

Best Answer

Yeah. Remember forgiving it back nicely.

Best Answer

What do you mean?

Best Answer