IzWhite IzWhite 22-25, F 10 Answers Jul 4, 2011

All I have to say about that is what I heard a vet say about that I will dock a dog's tail when he asks me to do it. I think it is beyond cruel and they should never do it.

Best Answer

I cannot believe some of the answers here. Cutting off the tail to PREVENT injury?? You're joking right? Docking IS serious injury. Perhaps those people should remove their arms to prevent injury. They could put them in the jar where they keep their brains:-). Has anyone ever heard of a dog bleeding to death from a bite to the tail or the ear?? What are the stats on deaths from botched docking v bitten tails? Perhaps, their legs should go as well. Then they can't be injured. They can't annoy us stupid humans by jumping up on us anymore either. We can carry them around in a bag. Sounds like a happy dog to me?... A dog uses its tail as a method of expressing itself. The muscles used to wag a full tail also help with bowel control. A dog with a docked tail will experience muscle degeneration and suffer earlier loss of bodily functions, therefore shortening its life expectancy. Check this out if you don't believe. Move your arm back and forth like a tail. Then again while holding a heavy object. Much harder to do with the same frequency and a muscle builder too. Ask an amputee about muscle deterioration in related parts of the body.

Best Answer

No medical reasons, though people use that as an excuse, some say they are preventing injuries to the dogs tail by choping it off !

As most show dogs are not worked, this is a stupid thing to say, sometimes if some breeds, pointers are kept in kennels they will damage their tail wagging it, but that's because they are in a small place.

Some of the most common working dogs, collies, foxhounds, labradors do not have their tailed docked, and they are most likely to have injuries.

The short answer is it's still done and is a sick practice mainly because of a breed standard. Apart from anything else, the dogs tails are part of their whole body launguge to other dogs.

Best Answer

Excellent answer , just feeble excuses for animal abuse .

Best Answer

I had a Rottweiler a few years ago and she had a full tail. People loved seeing that and they said she even looked friendlier with a full tail. I'm sure it's because when they wag their tails it's seen as friendly, with the tail docked it's not as obvious.

Best Answer

GIVE ME BACK MY TAIL!

Best Answer

In the case of cattle dogs they are docked to prevent the tail being broken while working cattle and horses. Mostly though I think it is just for looks.

Best Answer

Some owners do tail docking for the Dogs safety , as with pit bulls there is a main leader vein that runs inside the tail , should the dog get bitten and rupture this vein , It could bleed to death , The same applies to the ears thus making them less of a target and much safer for the dog in preventing harm or death .

Best Answer

OMG

Best Answer

Proven medical facts by the AKC .

Best Answer

What are you doing / have done to pit bulls that they are in danger of so many fights.
Also you have 3 main veins in your penis.

Best Answer

They are merely conforming to a fashion concept of what certain breeds should look like. Same with cropping the ears to make them stand up. In Great Britain most vets won't do it, it's considered barbaric. I don't know if any other nation feels the same. Here in the US, adults give their babies gang tattoos, so you can imagine how we treat our animals.

Best Answer

Tail docking of dogs is like routine infant male circumcisions of infant boys. There are no real true medical reasons behind them. It is done for cosmetic purposes / reasons only!

Tail docking and infant male circumcision are barbaric, inhumane, unnecessary and very painful!

Best Answer