I only ask this question because of what the press reports when they speak of discovering NEW planets near the earth and Mars.
GyeNyame GyeNyame 36-40, M 5 Answers Feb 21 in Community

I thought we were down to 8, now that Goofy or Pluto isn't worthy?

Best Answer

Scientists can't make up their damn minds.

Best Answer

What about Uranus? I heard that was still popular!

Best Answer

Is it still a green planet that's upside down with rings? Information keeps changing up so much these days I can't keep up.

Best Answer

Nobody knows for sure.

Best Answer

8 as far as I know. Pluto was demoted.

Best Answer

Honestly, I'm just now getting informed about Pluto. Didn't know it was demoted until now. When was this?

Best Answer

@Oracszen Thanks.

Best Answer

Not sure, about 8 or 10 years ago.

Best Answer

Funny to think that people say heat death is real when we don't even know for certain how many planets are exactly in our own solar system. Bah.

Best Answer

I fail to see how those are related. Heat death is an inevitable consequence of the way the universe functions. The amount of planets in a solar system varies depending on what kind of star it contains, how much matter was in the star's protoplanetary disc, our observational capacity, how "planet" is defined, and many other factors. You can change the definition of "planet" but you can't change the second law of thermodynamics.

Best Answer

Not really. Bigger telescopes can take pictures of farther away galaxies and objects, but no telescope will ever be able to see past the surface of last scattering, so we will never know how big the whole universe is. The size of observable universe can be inferred from other clues, for example, seeing how far the expansion of the universe has taken the farthest visible objects, or measuring the redshift of photons coming from the cosmic microwave background radiation. The observable universe has a radius of 46 billion light-years.

Best Answer