Just because someone "doesn't look sick", do you judge them negatively and tell them they should "get over it"? If so, how do you justify this? Do you just not believe in mental/emotional illnesses and damage?
SpiritOfTheRabbit SpiritOfTheRabbit 31-35, F 18 Answers Feb 5, 2013 in Health

If I don't see bone sticking out of you, you're not sick!

Best Answer

Wow.

Best Answer

I believe in all of those..but I also believe that people love to self diagnose themselves with "depression" simply because they are stuck in a particularly bad spot for a period of time. Obviously I don't mean everyone who says they are depressed does that, it just seems like many people like to self diagnose when it comes to mental illnesses.

Best Answer

That might happen... but I think there is a huge difference between depression and a bad week.

Best Answer

Sometimes we have a run of bad luck that can last a month or two. I'm not dismissing depression or those that really suffer from it, just saying people lessen the significance of being diagnosed with such an illness by saying, "I am depressed" after having a bad week or so..

Best Answer

Not at all. I've suffered depression. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Best Answer

If you observe close enough, you can almost always see it. Easier for those who have dealt with a particular disorder or illness, they usually picks it up faster.

Best Answer

More often than not... though I do make exceptions when there is a justifiable reason for it. Some guy loses his family in a fire I'm going to admit that he may be suffering from depression.....

Best Answer

no, cause i go thru that, and sometimes like today i dont even know im sick, i saw my throat doctor cause he switched practices so i had to do the paperwork again before i can get more antigen for my allergies, i have to give myself shots and when i went in today he was looking at my throat and said my tonsils were big and i had white stuff in my throat, so now im waiting for the pharmacy to deliver my antibiotics, i thought my throat was hurting cause of allergies, had no idea i might have strep, sometimes i dont even know i even have strep myself, i think it was in the beginning stages so i never noticed it, i didnt even see him for that, saw him for something else

Best Answer

is someone had the same/similer problem as me i would be more harsh, saying they should get over it but that was more becasue i was telling myself to get over it.....

Best Answer

I'm a therapist, so naturally I take mental health very seriously.<br />
But I've worked with some psychiatrists who don't believe that fibromyalgia has any medical basis.

Best Answer

Maybe it doesn't have a medical basis. But it still exists, and it still leaves people in excruciating pain every single day.

Best Answer

Yes depression, I myself should get over it, and sure it damage our hole body and life.

Best Answer

Not at all - but can't they just take a table and become normal again....

Best Answer

Not always.

Best Answer

A"table" doesn´t normally work for depression.
You should upgrade your information sources ;-)

Best Answer

Bloody predictive text - of course I meant tablet. And I was being inappropriatly facetious.

Best Answer