Apparently my dad was beaten when he was young and my mother thinks that he should've gotten over it by now because he's almost 40.
TrafalgarLaw TrafalgarLaw 13-15, F 20 Answers Nov 24, 2012 in Family Struggles

My dad beat me. I forgave him for beating me, but I've yet to forgive him for instilling violence in me. At some point though, you either cut them completely from your life or forgive them. But you can't carry around the bitterness forever.

Best Answer

honestly? no, never. people shouldnt expect that out of you. its messed up. i dont care if someone comes around here all okie dorie and tells you that you need to get over it, they obviously havent expirenced it hand on. and for those people who tell you to not interfere, dont listen to them etheir, ask them if they would just stand by and watch someone get beat. i know i wouldnt.

Best Answer

The statue of limitations on parental crimes expires on your 21st birthday. Yes, he should have gotten over it. Let's all hope you can break the cycle when you have your own family.

Best Answer

Depends on the severity of the beatings. The last of the scars my mother gave me finally faded away a couple years ago...I'm still not speaking to the ***** ;-)

Best Answer

No their is no certain age my dad is in his 60's and is still dealing with things that happened in his childhood

Best Answer

It depends on what he was beat for.

Best Answer

every one diff. depends on how bad he was beat. my ma hit me with belt not lot but few times and i deserved it, i couldn t do it to my kids tho. now adays you get arested if hit your kids at lest in my state. i beleave when they young give em a little smack to keep em straight and let em know no means no when older you will never have to. your dad might have mental scars that will last for ever some people got beat realy bad which crosses line to child abuse . specily if father was a drinker that comom give him some slack

Best Answer

stay out of it. don't take sides. there's nothing you can make it better.

Best Answer

I don't plan on that. I just thought she was wrong, and wanted to know if I wasn't being a 'rebellious teenager'.

Best Answer

that's the mentally of his ignorant mother

one does not get over it... they learn to move forward

Best Answer

Never.

Best Answer

As for myself, I did have to get over it in order to move on and quit using my past as an excuse to do nothing with my life. I can't speak for anyone else.

Best Answer

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. Getting help in coming to terms with it often can be a way of coping. I don't know if one ever really "gets over" such things.

Best Answer

You never get over that. You Mum is an idiot. Think how you'd feel. Would you "get over it" Or harbour a nasty resentent your whole life?

Best Answer

You have to work through abuse. It doesn't go away with time. It goes away with hard work... and it's ugly work. It's no fun at all.

Best Answer

it's not so much a function of age...

Best Answer