Arizona businesses can now refuse to serve gay customers. Should we be able to legally discriminate based on religious belief or should we all be forced to accept the growing changes?
Allwaysthink825 Allwaysthink825 22-25, F 24 Answers Feb 23 in Politics

shameful If I did that at my business I wouldn't have one. But lets boycott Arizona I have friends who live there and own business and they tell me every Friday they will refuse to service straight people. <br />
Lets see how fast they don't get sued?

Best Answer

I hope all the LGBT people get together and sue all of them and bankrupt Arizona it could happen given how many people are there who are gay.

Best Answer

And that's a good idea to refuse service to straight people, you really couldn't argue that in court because they made it so that stores can refuse service to anyone, it should extend to straight people to.

Best Answer

Not all people support Gay rights...I don't. If you don't like it...Stay away from Arizona.

Best Answer

Crowbar 53 I support everyone because we all share this world. It doesn't matter if they are gay or straight I will serve them when they come in my business. But I also support others who own business in Arizona who has the right to refuse service to straight people on Friday's because of there religious freedom. So do not support gay rights next it will be put on drivers lic in Arizona so you can ask if you are straight or not!

Best Answer

Haha, Ok. Let Az. label me as a Straight American Male. And religious freedom has nothing to do with the fact of being Straight or Gay...does it?

Best Answer

Where does it end really? Next businesses will be able to have separate water fountains and dining areas for different races. . . .. . wait, we already did that. It is stupid for businesses to do that! the whole point of having a business is to make money so the ones that are participating in this discrimination will just lose out on money and respect. How are we supposed to know who is gay and who is not anyway? I guess we will have to give them all serial number tatoos. . .. . wait a minute, I believe that was done before as well. I think that if I had a business I would not allow hat wearers to use my services, they are easier to spot and it it under the same basis. . . . . or how about blue eyed people, or jewish people, or people that drive prius's. . . . . the bane of society lol

Best Answer

why any business would want bad publicity and turn down potential customers...especially is the current economy is baffling

Best Answer

It's stupid. Gay people's money spends as well as straight's. <br />
I have a feeling that it will be fringe businesses that will refuse. Ones that won't get gay business anyway.

Best Answer

Nope your forgetting homosexuality is a disease so of course their money would be contagious don't you know how its spread? Money spreads all around the place so think about it when you open that dollar bill in your wallet ;) just kidding of course but I bet the people who pass these laws think that same thing.

Best Answer

This is a very dangerious road to go down does this mean you could be refused for not being a Christian or your an adultery etc etc

Best Answer

Right? Wont be long! I am sure all types of people would love to legally discriminate against people for all kinds of reasons, I guess that day will soon come for all the idiots

Best Answer

I think people forget why this country came to be

Best Answer

The founding fathers are probably rolling over in their graves by now I am sure lol I would be curious as to what they would have to say.

Best Answer

me thinks they still have to serve an illegal mexican gay person though... <br />
our borders are a joke

Best Answer

they press more issues on who someone's ******* then they do on actual issues. You would think out of all the things to spend money on. This is exactly why world hunger hasn't been solved. People are petty.

Best Answer

As a business owner I should be free to refuse my services to anyone for any reason..<br />
Just as you don't have to accept people into your life if you dont agree with them..

Best Answer

For a lifestyle choice you would refuse for anyone even if they wouldn't be stealing or doing anything wrong? As a business your first priority would be money, why would you turn money away and potential customers? Have fun with that.

Best Answer

It's up to the business owner but if I were aware of their policy I wouldn't do business there and that would be my choice and my right..

Best Answer

But as a business like it or not your selling something who cares who you sell to. What your going to sell to a gay person and all of a sudden wake up gay? Its about MONEY period. Beggars cant be choosers and a lot of sales people are nothing but beggars. We have discriminatory laws for a reason, its unconstitutional.

Best Answer

the few business owner who say they love this law are already paying there employees below cost so they are millionairs
I for one pay at higher than min $10.00 a hour and I sell out every day in the bakery serving everyone. But I would never turn away any customer who pays real money. Sure refuse ones who bring down your business for the right reason not because they are Gay straight black pink blue purple they still drink and eat.

Best Answer

Sirdan

I fully agree.. I can see if a group was being unruly but I cant see putting a sexual orientation on money, money is money, for the mere fact that there are others starving and they choose to do this with the money instead just shows their own ignorance and eventually that will be their downfall. We complain about not having money, look where its being spent? I have more important things to worry about then whether someone is gay or straight, obviously if a person can worry that much about what someone looks like or acts they don't have much of a life in the first place, and is an insult for others who are starving and poor.

Best Answer

I could see if they were like stealing or being rowdy or I don't know doing anything bad in general but really a lifestyle choice? Would you be hurt if someone kicked you out of a business because you had brown or black skin? What if you had brown eyes? Or what if you were blonde and they didn't like white people? No we have discriminatory laws for a reason.

Best Answer

I believe the supreme court has held that a business has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason as long as their customers are made aware of this attitude.

Best Answer

And yes, I would be hurt if I were discriminated against for some arbitrary reason..

Best Answer

Its still discriminatory. I can see the right to refuse service to anyone but there's no need if they are not being criminal or involved with anything that could hurt your business, that is being discriminatory, I mean if a gay person is holding his wallet open next to a straight person just browsing, would it really be logical to say well I hate gay people so their money is no good here, even though the gay had already picked up his purchase versus from others? I like money lol. We cant discriminate against anyone if they are black or white or any race we made that illegal but we can for a lifestyle choice? We think segregation was wrong but we segregate against gays? Its a double standard and they know it, and should have no place in a civilized society, its been a long while since the 1800s I REFUSE to go back to that time period with people with the age old complimentary "plantation customs" type of attitude. I do not want to turn into a country in which thinks they can do whatever they want to people just based on the fact that they just simply don't like them or have a grudge. I am 26 years old and act far more mature than people who are far older than me and should better. Me as a younger person doesn't want to tell a 60 year old congressmen or however old they are to "grow the **** up" because I feel like that's what they should be doing to me, not the other way around! You know its bad when it gets to that point!

Best Answer

I'm not going to debate this issue. I don't agree with this business attitude and I don't support it nor Will I support it with my dollars. We can't legislate bigotry and racism away and we have too many laws as it is.. these things must be addressed on a social level.. try to be the example of what is right and just. Sooner or later others will see the light.

Best Answer

Right.. segregation is nothing new but we need to learn from the past, I keep saying it and it keeps not happening lol. Its stupid we ended segregation just to hate on something else.

Best Answer

I totally agree. I can't change the world but I can ( I hope ) make a positive impact on those around me by doing the right thing. I think you would agree with this. Get enough people with that attitude and change will come even if only at a snail's pace. But thats the shame of it isn't it.... :(

Best Answer

It is a shame. I don't like being younger and telling people older than me to respect other people, I feel like the people who hold political offices should tell me that! I can see stores refusing business with people who were stealing or scaring away customers and the like but that would be despite sexual orientation and skin color. I thought that's how it was but apparently its not.

Best Answer

It hasn't been signed by the governor yet. She may still veto it. But if businesses can discriminate against gays ba<x>sed on their religious beliefs, doesn't that open the door to also discriminate against religions if you don't share the same beliefs?

Best Answer

In most States a business has the right to refuse service to anyone it chooses for almost any reason. I recently saw a sign in a restaurant in Oklahoma advising that only Christian customers were welcome.

Best Answer

Yikes I wouldn't even go into that restaurant, I would want to sit down to enjoy a meal not to be converted! That's so bad, that's like a science institution saying sorry atheists only! As if Christians cant enjoy it as well. Wtf.

Best Answer

There is nothing illegal about it, not should there be. I took the sign as a warning and went elsewhere. There should be no restriction on who we wish to associate with. As an atheist, I appreciated the warning.

Best Answer

It shouldn't be a warning, people shouldn't hate a person THAT much to where they don't want to even sit next to the other person in the same room. In life there is always religious differences, that's something people have to come to terms with. I can see like people waving it in your face is one thing, being in the same room with someone who is atheist versus a Christian when your sitting down to just eat something is irrational hatred and fear.

Best Answer

That's kind of like hating someone you never met lol its still irrational behavior and has no place in ANY politics even though that's not the case.

Best Answer

What you or I feel is irrational behavior may be very different from what others find irrational behavior.

Best Answer

I could see if there was a band of militant atheists around and they made that to protect others but its not about protection, its about social class and people not respecting others choices. Its nearly impossible to make a utopian society for yourself and only yourself and others you solely include, with how many people there are, its nearly impossible. IF there was a sign that said "no Christians" you know since the majority is Christian or Catholic or of another mainstream religion you would hear about it most certainly! All those people would get on the internet and blog about it, there would be an uproar etc.. because its happened many times before time and time again that if you put two things side by side that mean the same thing, one side gets hurt about it over the other, so both are wrong, it shouldn't happen anyways, that's why we never get anything solved.

Best Answer

Its not about respect. Its about the choice to associate with those that you wish. I'm the first to admit, that if I realized that I would be sitting in a restaurant surrounded by a group of Evangelical Christians who were discussing their faith, that I would avoid the business. I don't want to hear that while I eat, especially since for all practical purposes, I wouldn't be able to challenge their statements. Unfortunately, we are in an era of political correctness. I really don't care what others say on the internet. By choosing who I associate with, I hurt no one. There is nothing to get solved.

Best Answer

Hating someone shouldn't give someone a reason to segregate people. Its the same thing and you know and I know and everyone else knows that if there was ONE dining establishment that said "no blacks allowed" it would be in an uproar in a minute but the funny thing about that argument is that is the same thing that someone does when they "pick and choose" their customers. Its JUST getting something to eat, its not like these people are personally harming them. NEVER in my life is that the right thing to do.

Best Answer

Saying "no whomever allowed" is stupid knowing that no one is harming anyone else. Places should always be safe places to go for people in a "COMMUNITY" we should never be allowed to place any segregation laws unless its harming the individual, saying gays cant go into certain establishments, or that women cant be allowed in to certain establishments, or that men need to stay away, or that blacks cant go into this area, or that whites aren't welcomed there are acts of aggression because its the first step to oppress people. Why did we even fight for segregation in the first place only to say its ok to segregate Gays because store owners have a problem with gay money? Its the same thing!

Best Answer

I think that you meant de-segregation, didn't you.? Being around people that you like, that are like you are doesn't cause acts of aggression. And it certainly doesn't oppress anyone. No one is suggesting that we segregate anyone by who they are. What is rational is that people are able to pick and choose who they wish to associate with. I'm certain that you feel that it is appropriate for a restaurant to enforce a rule that says " no shoes, no shirt, no service". Isn't that the same thing? How about "men must wear a sports coat or suit"? In general, a restaurant will not be able to determine who is gay or who is straight unless they engage in a PDA. Many restaurants will ask a straight couple to leave if they do so. If a business becomes unable to choose its customer base, it will simply go back in time to where many restaurants were "clubs". Anyone who didn't exactly fit the mold was not admitted. If we returned there, a substantial part of the population might find that their only food option would be drive up fast food. You also assume that no gays, own or control restaurants. That all restaurants will automatically reject gays. The laws of most states already allow for service at the owner's pleasure, and this is not a problem.

Best Answer

No your telling me I mean something else when I don't, I mean what I say so don't put words in my mouth, I meant segregation, your keeping away people you don't like because of their religion is the same as saying "no blacks allowed."
Just like the old signs saying "no blacks allowed/no atheists allowed" same thing and everyone KNOWS that there would be an uproar if there were still signs saying no blacks allowed, we have come so far to try to be civilized with one another, alienating a set group of people is going to further cause harm. "You also assume that no gays, own or control restaurants. That all restaurants will automatically reject gays. " LMAO I assume? I NEVER said that, not anywhere point to me where I assume that Gays are not fully capable of owning anything. But I don't see any signs that say no straight people allowed either (maybe outside of gay clubs??) So when that happens do let me know :)

Best Answer

You meant to say "Why did we even fight for segregation"?

Best Answer

In truth that's what it is, we are separating ourselves, I don't think public cliques belong in government decisions, at the end of the day having it be a known law that they can push gays out for no reason is what it is. We were almost SO far for segregation laws but nope I guess some people just cant do it. Can you imagine walking in and wanting a sandwich and then the boss escorts you out because you look gay or that you are gay or that you are known to the community as being gay? That is so childish. I would assume there is no way to tell if one is gay but by feminine aspects, this new thing in Arizona just reeks of profiling.

Best Answer

Segregating meaning to separate, your (not you so don't ASSUME) trying to "separate" people who you think don't fit and keep them from entering PUBLIC places of establishments... i.e: segregating.

Best Answer

No we have freedom from religion, those businesses should be shut down to set an example. That's what I would do. And its not being forced its being polite to people with money to spend, as long as their money is good why would someone want to turn business away, as a country we HAVE to get a long with people who are different than us and we should spend less time figuring out how to discriminate against other people. This isn't Saudi Arabia where we arrest people for dancing or if you breath on someone the wrong way, so we should take steps to live in a... more civilized society. If the people are being bad on purpose than that's just people and you kick them out of the business then problem solved! But no one should have the rights to basically be like: well your gay so you cant spend your money here go away! Seriously?

Best Answer

hell why not maybe we should start having segregation again, blacks vs. white people! But now its straight vs. gay when it shouldn't be like that at all but it would be the same thing, people being extremely bigoted never surprises me. Like a user said below what is the difference between gay money or straight money.

Best Answer

saintargentina: I believe that your premise on the culture of this country is flawed. We don't HAVE to get along with people who are different from us, or those with whom we disagree. We still have the privilege of associating with those we choose to and to ignore whom we choose to. People can still choose to voet based on their beliefs, speak based on their beliefs and associate based on their beliefs. When I use the term belief, I don't ref to just religious or faith based beliefs. Even here on EP, you can block someone for any reason. A restaurant can set a dress code, can refuse to accept other than cash or refuse to serve a nudist based purely on the owner's whim, without having to justify his/her actions. We discriminate in every thing we do... (look up the word). Society has used political tools to make some discrimination illegal..... but discrimination is a basis in all cultures.

Best Answer

Yay for Arizona!

Best Answer

And how they would notice any? Seduce the customer? :-D

Best Answer

How would they know? lol

Best Answer

What sorts of businesses? I am torn over this sort of issue, as it seems right that people can choose to sell to or perform services as they like. At the same time, it reminds me of the days of segregation where certain businesses catered only to black people or to white people exclusively. I can sympathize in situations where a service might not want to cater a gay wedding, ba<x>sed on their own beliefs. Just as someone might choose not to help build a brothel, ba<x>sed on personal beliefs. Seems to me that you should be able to run your business as you like. That being said, it opens the door to other kinds of things, like refusing to rent to people ba<x>sed on ethnicity or certain religious beliefs. It's a tricky issue.

Best Answer

Changes nothing, businesses were never legally obliged to serve anyone.

Best Answer