ChipmunkErnie ChipmunkErnie 61-65, M 32 Answers May 2, 2010

I'm not an American but I've visited the US many times and have been asked the question before.

First off, it's ahuge generalisation to say the US Government is hated all around the world. The present one isn't hated particularly, and even the previous one was disliked for some things but not for others.

You also sometimes have to consider who it is who is doing the disliking. Sometimes it's people who would hate America whatever it did because it's the most powerful nation and represents values they have been brought up to despise for ideological reasons. Sometimes it's simply fashionable to dislike the US Government. Sometimes it could be a kind of jealousy because of the US's power and wealth. But then again, there are those who genuinely feel the US has sometimes got things wrong and have helped persecute certain people, if not directly but by proxy, and much as I'm basically pro-American I do think the Palistinians have a valid point there.

You also have to face the possibility that it's not the US Government people dislike but the attitude of some Americans themselves, compared to whom the Government is fairly okay. There is something of a gulf between the US and other western democracies over such things as gun ownership, capital punishment and universal healthcare (though the difference on the last of those is likely to be less now!). The attitudes of some ordinary Americans are shown all over the world on TV, and some of these give a far worse image of the US than most of your Presidents ever have.

Best Answer

Sure, we're hated until they need us, then we have a "moral obligation" to help them. That said, I am aware of many of the stupid things our government does and has done worldwide, such as how a history of overthrowing governments in Iran since WWII led directly to an anti-American government there now.

Best Answer

Since I was a little girl I've noticed how many people have been fascinated by America. It has been branded as the land of opportunity. People are thought to be able to express themselves in any which way they choose to.

Being in the limelight as much as America seems to be will inevitably have its advantages and disadvantages. I wouldnt say America is hated but rather a 'celebrity' among countries which will have its bad press along with the good.

Best Answer

And yet the Soviets, even their genocidal history, is more lauded. Or the rape capital of the world is South Africa (yet we're the rapists)

Did we kill 20 million? Did we gas Jews? Did we confiscate 'x' ethnic group's food and starve 7 million to death?

Are we not the first to respond in millions of dollars and personnel in aid when disaster strikes. And when they start whining about the aid, we turn the other cheek, say sorry, and give more!

We beat ourselves up for crap our generation didn't do and give others a pass for stuff they did do, or their past gens did.

And we're doing our best to bring ourselves down to their level with our declining freedom, rights, standard of living.

Best Answer

tThe U . S . sticks their nose in every ones business

Best Answer

The simplest answer to give without making a huge paragraph of many reasons would be that we are a spoiled country. I've traveled around the world and this is what they all say about us.

Best Answer

For the same reason it' hated so much here.

Best Answer

Jealousy comes to mind.

Best Answer

Because we act like the police in international affairs, always trying to intercept a big fight to look like the good guys. No one acts like this in the world. Eventually this policy will be a bad choice for the globe.

Best Answer

Lol. The funny thing is it's not just the world that hates us anymore. We all seem to hate each other now-a-days. America will never stand if we can't manage to unite as a people.

Best Answer

Not sure...but what I do know is...if we didn't spend money in other countries...they'd be a lot worse off. So... let's pull out money and see what happens. I think there are lot of countries out there that want our money but want it their way. Well, you can't. That's just the way it works. If you don't want us in your country...find we'll buy oil from Asia and other starving parts of Africa that China is capitalizing on...and calling them heros.

Best Answer

The United States is not special or unique in this. Every group of people throughout history that has ever succeeded in becoming the dominant power in the world of their time is disliked or hated. The gods know we have ample examples. Your empire too will eventually crumble, and then it will be some other group's turn to be hated. Don't take it personally, it's not about the United States.

Best Answer

I understand that America stands for things that some other nations fear - individuality and freedom.

Best Answer

Didn't this just get asked..:) last month I think..and ...yes, but its our govt folks, and we don't love what they do..

Best Answer

Well, I have a Master's degree, so I'll answer it from an academic stand point. The U.S. has not always dealt fairly with other nations, especially those in central and south America.

We stick our noses into the politics of other countries when we have no business there, frequently supporting leaders or regimes that the people of a particular country don't want or don't support. We do what is in our own best interest, yet claim we are trying to "help."

We break promises to other nations. We talk about spreading freedom and democracy and go about doing just that, but not everyone wants our brand of freedom or wants democracy. (and by the way, we're a republic, not a democracy.) Of course, as an American, I believe that our government and way of life is the best, but other people in other cultures and countries may not feel the same,and who are we to force our views and way of life onto them? Some countries feel threatened by Westernization.

We've gone to war for vague or made up reasons. We preach sometimes preach one thing yet do another. For example, we lost a lot of "face" with the rest of the world over the torture at Gitmo.

We talk about the climate and environment and say we'll change but don't, and continue to be the largest consumer of resources in the entire world.

Americans are seen by many Eurpoeans as brash and rude. . . and really, we can be.

Best Answer

Specialities of America

one is peace the other is war

Best Answer

As a English person, I think you will find that having Obama as president has helped to decrease the antagonism towards Americans

Best Answer

Because we'er the "top dogs" for now, and take the lions share. One of these days China will rule the roost and they'll be crying for us to do something about it. By then it'll be back to cold war statis and the threat of MAD...Mutually Assured Distruction.

Best Answer

Same reason everybody hates the New York Yankees.

Best Answer

depends on what their propaganda/perception is.

are you referring to anything specific?

my mom thought the streets were literally paved with gold. she also thought cigarette ash in coca-cola would get you high :) she didn't realize until she was here that there were people in poverty or even just 'not rich like on TV'.

others have hated us because we are obscene and immodest esp. our women

are you talking about iraq? 2 seconds after we leave we'll be damned for leaving. and we're damned if we stay.

Best Answer