lezstar lezstar 46-50, M 48 Answers Jun 29, 2010

Studies have shown that people who are more highly educated tend to err on the side of atheism or agnosticism. See, for example, "The intelligence–religiosity nexus: A representative study of white adolescent Americans ". Of course, it is true that this is only a small demographic when one considers the global population and diversity of beliefs around the world. However, to study adolescents makes sense when one is seeking to identify future trends in religious belief. Again, this is a purely Western study and should not be used to make broad assumptions about global trends. <br />
Also, what is meant by 'smarter' should be a consideration when answering this question. Does it mean more emotionally intelligent? Culturally aware? Rational? Different types of intelligence can have various and distinct impacts on a person's religiosity.<br />
Overall, I would say that as individuals are becoming more rational and globally aware - although I can really only speak for the West, particularly North America - they tend to move away from organized religion, which is of course distinct from spirituality and faith.

Best Answer

There is a rather large "IF" , which will preclude it.

Best Answer

on the contrary, my dear.

Best Answer

Perhaps as they become more arrogant.

Best Answer

Smarter than what? And that is to assume that the Bible is totally wrong and your right. So prove it.

Best Answer

No

Best Answer

People know more and have greater access to information but humans are not getting smarter. It has become more difficult for religion to get people to believe in miracles and all sorts of other fruity junk. However, people will always want easy and self-serving explanations.

Best Answer

I sure hope so. However I doubt that religion will go away completely. Many people are afraid of death and not willing to take responsibility for their own life- blaming god for is just too easy:p

Best Answer

personally, being raised in a household without religion, I believe it would be a global benefit. But it has nothing to do with people getting smarter. <br />
Although, I would not call myself Atheist, for growing up without any religion I am neither for or against it, to me God simply is not there, I do not pretend to have an opinion about something I know nothing of.<br />
Now before somebody get's upset, let me say I am not against religion at all and I respect anyone's beliefs. <br />
I will say though, that for me, I find growing up without religion was a huge benefit to my life, and i wish that some of my close friends who are very religious had also had that opportunity. Seeing it from an outside point of view has been very insightful.

Best Answer

LOL @ the very idea that intelligence has anything whatsoever to do with spirituality.

Best Answer

No. Freedom of choice will become the dominant global paradigm.

Best Answer

Yes I definitely think so.. Or atleast Peoople will shun religion and become Spiritual or Agnostic.

Best Answer

There's an assumption that we can know who "God" is and therefore choose to accept or reject the idea. That's not a smart assumption. Also not smart to base your belief in God on what people do. Religion is a human thing.

Best Answer

Intllegence has nothing to do with it, only a mindset.

Best Answer

I hope not.

Best Answer

ah thats only fashion.. no body will buy this atheism.. i think.. people are more smarter now ..

Best Answer

I hope not. Not matter how Smart (Are we really?) we become, we will never have all the answers to everything. Each time I see pix's of the universe or see how perfect a baby's little hand is I realize that it has to be more than just Random Happenings of Molecules and the sort. Now Religion is one thing and a belief in God is another to me, we as people have pretty well screwed up religion--how smart is that?!--look at the news, it seems everything has a Religion connection to it. I believe that God oversees everything that we can imagine and knows how it will all work out and probably thinks we are amusing with our petty squabbles and differences. One flash and we all could be gone, universe included and that isn't simply a regrouping of molecules or atoms or quarks or what have you, it is God (which I really have yet to fully understand but accept the presence of). My own Belief.

Best Answer

It's not just about smartness but about bravery and living conditions.

Best Answer

God I hope so!

Best Answer

If by smarter, you mean educated-- yes. It's already happening. <br />
One needs only to look at the countries that have the highest literacy rates, standards of education, highest overall IQs, lowest infant mortality rates, lowest crime rates and highest standards of living to discern that there is a trend toward atheism among the educated. Countries like Sweden, Denmark, Japan, Germany, etc are perfect examples (where half or more are non theist). Conversely, the MOST religious countries in the world are the ones that most of us would never want to visit: underdeveloped; rife with disease, poverty, political turmoil and oppressive regimes.<br />
This applies on a personal level as well. The more schooling a person has, the less likely they will be deluded by superstition. Religiosity is low among post doctoral students; 93% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences are non theists.<br />
The more educated a person or population becomes, the less likely they are to be religious. There is a negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity; there is a positive correlation between atheism and high IQs.

Best Answer