I have a part time job at a food store and I want to ask for two months off so I can go spend the rest of the summer with my parents. They probably won't give me that long and I'll have to quit, but what do you think of this: Can I speak to you? I wanted to let you know how much I like working here. I really think I have learned a lot since I first started working here. I love working in team, I love the team you have here I get along with everyone. I love the food and the store itself. I wanted to let you know that I’m planning to go visit my parents in two weeks. Right now I’m living by myself, so I have been feeling very lonely, it’s been almost a year since I last saw my parents. I would be leaving from the 20th of June until around the 22 of August. I was wondering if I could take a leave of absence?
spentmydays spentmydays 18-21, F 7 Answers Jun 7 in Community

Part time jobs rarely have those types of benefits. You'll probably be able to leave, and then re-apply when you return. Just ask if you can do that.

Best Answer

how can I ask that in a formal way?

Best Answer

Don't worry about being so "formal". It's a part time job .. just tell them what you need to do and ask if they would be willing to keep your job for when you return.

Best Answer

It doesn't have to be formal. You're a young lady, and your parents want to see you. Just lay it on the line. Tell them that you've really enjoyed the opportunity of working with their team, and for them, but you've weighed the options, and spending the next 2 months with your parents seems like the best thing to do. You'll give them a call within a week or so of returning to let them know that you'd like to re-apply, but if there's nothing available, it's all good.......

Best Answer

thank you! sigh we'll see what happens. I know I can get a job somewhere else when I get back. But I really like this work... we'll see what happens

Best Answer

My boss allowed me to take the leave of absence :)

Best Answer

That speaks VOLUMES for your work ethic! Be sure to let your parents know. They'll be so proud. Me too!

Best Answer

OMG I can't believe this......let me put it to you short and sweet:<br />
IF YOU WERE THE BOSS & an employee came to YOU and asked what you are asking for, do you think you, as the employer, would let this person have this leave?<br />
think that over........<br />
and.....if you're gonna ask, DON"T go into so much detail........it makes you look like a jerk......and whiny!!<br />
how about......"I have a chance to be with my parents, whom I havent seen in a year.......(no 'about", be definite!!).....and my plans are to leave on june 20th & be back on August 22......AGAIN; NO ' AROUND'..BE DEFINITE'........remember, if you're the boss, wouldn't you want your employee to be sure of themselves, and not 'well, it'll be about this long, etc?? see??)<br />
Would you approve of this? or some such phrase.<br />
again, you are being forthright and not 'begging'......and again, think how much better that'd sound to you if you were the boss!!!<br />
anyhow, I hope you get the time off.<br />
just DON"T say you're 'lonely'........that's pathetic!!

Best Answer

If I were my boss I would think - mhm well we are slow as **** and I'm always giving her less than 15 hours. Perhaps it would be better if she leaves.- I know I'm a good employee and a very hard worker. Ok I'll give exact dates you're right. hahaha that's exactly what I want- with the I feel lonely statement. anywho, thank you!

Best Answer

well if it's that slow, you should ask; just follow my suggestion and keep it short, sweet, and professional...and have fun when you get with your parents!!!!

Best Answer

Thank you! and my boss agreed to give me the leave of absence :)

Best Answer

hooray for you.........see? that wasn't so hard, was it? and enjoy your family time!

Best Answer

Just ask them. It's really up to them if they would keep a job opening for you .. or need to replace you. Just be honest about why you need to the time off. Even if you have to quit, you can always reapply when you get back.

Best Answer

Give it a shot, i'm sure they'll understand

Best Answer

Perhaps you'd be better off asking for most of it as unpaid leave.

Best Answer

what is the difference?

Best Answer

Over here we get a certain amount of holiday leave each year where you are still paid, but you can take time out without being paid.

Best Answer

Won't know until you ask.

Best Answer

Are you kidding me? You're going to ask your boss for a "leave of absence" to hang out with your family for two months? And you aren't even going to be able to give a full two week's notice whatever happens? Wow....Maybe this generation IS as entitled as they say it is.

Best Answer

loloololololol

Best Answer

my boss allowed me to get the leave of absence :3

Best Answer