I am babysitting my best friends daughter who is 7,because her parents are on a out of state business venture. She has a high fever,and the dr. ordered her to be in bed by 4 pm, when I called.( She has medicine which I gave her ) The problem is she is very restless, and seemed afraid about something... I tried to comfort her with games, brushing her hair, giving her her favorite stuffed animals.. singing to her, reading her bedtime stories... which calmed her a little, then all of a sudden she said.. "bullies ! bullies at school.. they don't stop bothering me..I won't go back to school ! "and she started to cry uncontrollably,and kicking in her bed..I am very worried about her.i tried to explain to her we would find out who they are to stop that. but she is obviously traumatized and needs to sleep,or she will get more sick. There is no way to contact the parents now, as they are in a business meeting for a few hours.. what can I do and/or say to calm her down and comfort her to sleep?
Carrie7 Carrie7 51-55, F 11 Answers Nov 8, 2012 in WTK

I would tell her some stories about bullies when I was in school, and how I handled them. I wasnt bullied myself, but I knew some people who were. I MIGHT even put me the place of the person being bullied(I have to think about that). I would guess that she probably thinks that you're pretty cool, or your friends wouldnt have asked you to babysit. If she can relate to you in that way, it might ease her mind and calm her down to the point were she will feel comfortable talking to you and eventually be able to fall asleep.<br />
I dont recommend lying to her, but maybe just a touch of embellishment....????

Best Answer

cope with the problem of the moment...an unwell child. Tell her you can both talk to Mum and Dad about the bullies at school when they get back, you may have to bunk down in a chair with her tonight until she goes to sleep. Keep up her medicines and keep an eye on her. There's not much else you can do.

Best Answer

Maybe you could tell her to draw some pictures of what she wants to do to the bullies?

Best Answer

Nurture her-cuddle. Hum softly and sing gently.

Best Answer

The best is to call her parents & let her just speak to her mom or dad... maybe she'll calm down listening to one of the parents voice. Good luck & I hope the problem with the school bullies can be resolved ASAP!

Best Answer

It kinda sounds like it's fever induced.....just keep working on the fever....and comfort her as much as you can...she will eventually calm down....

Best Answer