SaintMaj SaintMaj 36-40, M 13 Answers Aug 22, 2011

I am one of those guys from the Vietnam era. I never had to put up with any ridicule, but it is like we never existed. We came home and went back to our lives. Now many, many are passing away from things like agent orange (one of my brothers included). Unfortunately, I feel that there are people that are using the current wars as a giant billboard just to keep a war going. At the same time, those same people are cutting health care benefits to those service people in need. Support them to be patriotic, but then to hell with them in real life.<br />
I think that is was very odd that there was no real memorial to the WWII vets in Washington until here recently. The one monument that was there was the Iwo Jima monument. My dad was in four major Pacific landings, beginning with Guadalcanal and ending with Iwo Jima. He would have loved to have seen the WWII monument, but we lost him in 1981. He never talked about his experiences in the war, but his body had the scars. He contracted malaria on Iwo and his war service was over and he spent the rest of his time in Australia in a hospital. Those guys of that war were no made out to be criminals, but they sure were almost forgotten.

Best Answer

a couple of things. one, WWII was the last war we fought where the government allowed the military to achieve clear and total victory. that has happened in no war since. two, improving communications means the press can show what's going on in a combat zone and show the public practically instantly. the general public tends to like the fancy machines and big explosions, but not actual death. war is ugly and ugly things happen there, from both sides. it's just how it is. but when the public catches a good glimpse, public opinion changes.

Best Answer

Exactly so......

Best Answer

Oh My God! your a girl and you can see it! the plain and simple truth! Wake up america.....play to win!

Best Answer

Excellent answer Daphne, well done

Best Answer

Because since the fight against nazism most wars have either been wrong headed or maliciously created and are now an embarrassment to their authors.<br />
Same thing is happening now.<br />
Living history.

Best Answer

peza,I was not in Iraq or Faulkland; I was saving civilian arses 500 meters away from their homes.Same like vets in Iran,Palestine etc

Best Answer

I wasn't directing the answer at you specifically.

Best Answer

I don't know that your premise is true. But I will suggest that since Korea many, if not most of our wars, have been fought for ideological and/or political reasons with real, immanent threat to ourselves. It's hard to praise the military for being the defenders of freedom and liberty when you know in your heart that these things were never at stake... that their lives and our patriotism are being exploited and squandered for frivolous advantage. "War criminals", no. "Pawns" and "cannon fodder", maybe.

Best Answer

Gotta have a fall guy or a patsie. Since soldiers are directly involved it is so easy for people to sit at home a treat them like crap and blame them for things. Most people in this day and age just want some one to blame.

Best Answer

the government wanted no survivors -<br />
when military personnel survive -<br />
they have gone against the government's<br />
population control initiative

Best Answer

During WWII we fought against enimies who would conquer and enslave our entire country. If we lost then we would be occupied and enslaved. We protected each and evey one of our people from defeat, conquest and slavery. Veterans saved us all.<br />
Wars sense have not been about our very survival. We fight for many reasons but none so important to each and every citizen. <br />
Vietnam was bad, Korea was kinda like WWII a little, Grenada, Bosnia, Somalia, Iran, and other little wars were hardly noticed by the populas. Irag and Afganistan American Vets get respect and thanks. 9-11 insured that we all understood that the war was to prevent further attacks. <br />
Only the actual war criminals (and there have been some) get treated like war criminals.

Best Answer

There hasn't been a popular war since then. (popular war...that sounds wrong) Just the same, it's so stupid to demonstrate one's principles by demonizing another who is only following his/her own. Not all people treat Vets badly, but enough do. It's a really shameful thing.

Best Answer

I hope they are not - it would be totally unfair.

Best Answer