Really I'm not trying to offend any obese people.. Hell according to the charts I'm obese.. but I'm just fluffy and chubby.. Anywho... I work with a mother and daughter who are both overly obese...They aren't to the point standing or walking around should be a hassle for them.. Why do they get to use the handicap parking, when there are elderly people who can barely walk, having to park miles away... ;/ I'm an ignorant ******* now? I'm sorry I'm not a heartless *****.. I'm just curious about why they get the handicap parking.. Wow... *****Seriously if the mother and daughter can push a 60+ lb cart full of newspapers to their car from their tables, I think they can walk an extra few feet to the other side of the handicap spaces... *******
GirlyGamerGeek GirlyGamerGeek 22-25, F 24 Answers Jan 15, 2010

Judge not lest ye not be judged. Sometimes it is not so obvious a person's handicap, and it doesn't take much of a handicap to get a parking sticker in most jurisdictions. Sometimes obese people suffer secondary conditions like diabetes or asthma or heart disease, that also contributes to the need of a parking pass.

Best Answer

No, but it could be the result of a disability.

Best Answer

Thank You for a very good answer, Lucy. I have a placard, but it is NOT because of my obesity directly. I have severe osteo-arthritis in my legs.

Best Answer

most people who are that obese also have psychological problems, but won't admit it. being fat is something they feel they can duck responsibility for. but it's a symptom of something more complex.

Best Answer

I think it is hard to sympathize because it takes a lot of work to get that way...it is not an illness but a lack of self pride and self-control<br />
why reward this?<br />
(hate me if you must, but this question DID ask for opinions)

Best Answer

At a certain point it is a disability. But what I thought was scary is that they offered my mother a handicap placard because she weighed 210. She flat out refused it. I would not use one either if it came to that point.

Best Answer

I think it leads to disability,depends on the cause if it is just because of the food put in your no but if it something else maybe

Best Answer

I will start being ok with that when they put parking spots at the far end for the fit people.

Best Answer

See the problem here is that being fat/obese well... isn't a disablility. People treat fat people like a heart attack waiting to happen, when it's really not all that hard to be both fat AND healthy.

Best Answer

I don't think it is a disability.

Best Answer

it's not a disability but if the individual treats it as one then it can become one

Best Answer

You're not ignorant at all. I used to think fat people are lazy, annoying, and horrendously self loathing. Now I realize that they suffer a common disease of addiction. They have spiraled into a life where they are powerless over eating, just like an alcoholic is powerless over drinking. They need a 12 step program, and need someone to tell them, "guess what? you're obese and going to die, there is help for you!" Try saying it in a nice way though, not just "you're a ******* fatass"

Best Answer

I am on the border of overweight/obese and I have a placard. Not because of my weight. Because I was born with scoliosis and had to have surgery, which later resulted in severe arthritis and sciatica. My life is about 50/50. Some days I can walk just fine, other days I can barely stand for five minutes. <br />
However, I am not a whiner or a complainer, and even if I'm in pain I usually do a pretty good job of hiding it. What I hate is when elitist, self-righteous morons (not you, I mean REAL morons) tell me the only reason I have a placard is because of my weight, and demean me and make fun of me. Just because you can't see my disability doesn't mean it's not there.

Best Answer

Sometimes someone may be have a disability that you can not readily see or determine from a distance. A previous injury from a car accident or disease resulting in a broken back, spinal and hip breaks may heal but can cause continuous problems and pain. The loss of mobility can also cause someone to gain weight.<br />
These people should use the handicap spaces.<br />
Someone who is capable of walking and simply uses the handicap space due to laziness or bc he/she is too fat from gorging themselves with too much food and in being so lazy and selfish applies for a handicap pass without a real ailment is someone incredibly self-absorbed to take a space away from someone who may actually need it. <br />
These selfish people who feign a current or past illness or injury immobilizing them when there is none, really require a "mental handicap" sticker. <br />
The public cannot make assumptions on which person fits into which catagory. I hope someday, the agency who distributes such passes learns to scrutinize better and fines those who applied under false pretenses.<br />
They should also video tape these self-proclaimed can't walk 10 feet "handicap" people doing what they do on when they are on vacation. Post them on the internet and on TV to embarrass them. <br />
I am sure we would see many miracles....praise the Lord.

Best Answer

Nope being obese is NOT a disability, and no offense but this is the silliest thing I have heard in a while, thanks for the good laugh. Obseity is a medical conidtion for some for an example there thyorid could not be prouding enough hormomens of it could just be that ur not taking care of urself. I once didn't care about my weight and I got up too 299lbs and now that its been 6 yrs ago I NOW weight in at 156lbs and I didn't diet or anything, I use REAL and TRUE FAITH AND WILLPOWER, I know that if I can do this like the way I am I am gonna keep it off for life and stay healthy. Never again will I let myself do anything to jerpodize my health again!!

Best Answer

kuddos Debra<br />
sure they may have other medical reasons, diabetes, heart disease but its all self induced.

Best Answer

I only agree with it when it is a genetic or medical problem, not something by choice or rather stupid choices.

Best Answer