This is a debate that has been going on in my class. What are your feelings? Thoughts? Opinions.
manololoverfashionaddict manololoverfashionaddict 18-21, F 29 Answers Nov 25, 2012 in Hobbies

American? Person? Earthling?

Best Answer

How about just AMERICAN!

Best Answer

I say your white, black, native, etc. I think saying American is redundant and a little disrespectful. If your family is from here clearly your american. <br />
Do they have this debate in other countries? Like if your in Germany are you an African German? or a black German? lol

Best Answer

i agree i guess...but most black people aren't anymore African than white people. Color of skin is the only common denominator we have with Africans. We embrace American culture...when we look at our history its American history...most black people I know couldn't tell u a thing about Africa's history because it is not our culture or our heritage. Most of us can't even trace our family tree back to Africa. We trace it back to slavery...This is why i consider myself American and i call myself black.
I hope that makes sense i was kind of rambling.

Best Answer

I've never heard of an African-Brit, buuut I have heard of Asian-Australian.

Best Answer

Best Answer

If you aren't African, as in straight from africa, you're not an African American. If you're black and you're born here, you're just black. If an Italian immigrated to the US, he'd be an Italian American, not Italian. See the pattern? Just my $.02

Best Answer

How about just Black? African American isn't really correct, and it seems unnecessary to tack on American to Blacks. You never hear someone say White Americans.

Best Answer

i second that...I'm black

Best Answer

Culturely... black shows an identity within social norms... it gives a sense of pride and oneness. Yet, as far as who a black person is... I would say... African American. This is even more of a defining term for it not only shows that the person IS AN AMERICAN. But shows were their heritage lies. And, that is no small thing. For all that black people have gone through in this country in the last 300 or something years to get where they are... it shows two important things. They are AMERICANS... And they came from a proud heritage... a place from a continent called Africa that has been a crucible for civilizations for the last 10,000 years... which is no small thing. I am Europian American for my heritage is English and German. Yet, we are all Americans. Once we see that we our Americans and we have a heritage hopefully we can get beyond skin color and cartolidge differences and claim ourselves what we already know about each other... We are Americans. We deserve places next to each other as friends, family and spiritual companions... within all its definitions...completely...

Best Answer

Not every black American is of African descent. Sure, eventually we're all of African decent, but sooner or later it helps to acknowledge some of us came from other places.

Best Answer

Individual American... anyone?

Best Answer

How about just American/Black.<br />
Calling them "African American" is far more racist than calling them black because it assumes that all blacks come from Africa, which, clearly, they don't.

Best Answer

There is a Black American group now. I choose Black because African American is long.

Best Answer

The sad thing is that there's actually a debate about this.There has to be a way to identify the race of a person, and the fact is that no matter what term is chosen eventually it changes to something else. I'm not hanging my hat on either of the two terms because by the time you're out of college it'll be something else. I do agree with previous answers that not all black folks are from Africa and not all African Americans are black. Are you trying to describe race or ethnicity? They are not the same thing. First you have to decide what you are categorizing and it seems these two terms are mixing the proverbial apples and oranges.

Best Answer

I prefer ******.

Best Answer

it bleeped it out...put spaces between the letters

Best Answer

It's kinda obvious...

Best Answer

i guess i don't know enough racial slurs...
its okay i don't need to know

Best Answer

White African or American African?

Best Answer

I go by the self identification. If evolution is correct we are all African anyway.

Best Answer

I'm fine with either.

Best Answer

Would it sound odd if I called myself a German-Irish-American?American should suffice,and ethnicity or color really should not matter.

Best Answer

If race is something that we must acknowledge, like when looking for a missing person or a criminal, I'd prefer "Black American". Not everyone with dark skin is from Africa.

Best Answer

black american ... not only is it offense to assume all blacks came from america<br />
africans have become offended at black americans who try to be african

Best Answer

They want to be called african american... even though they were born in America. who cares if they are dark, they are american...

Best Answer

Does either come with fries and a soft drink?

Best Answer

Black American-Soft Drink
African American-Fries

Best Answer

Yes, I'll have two of those, please. :)

Best Answer