I'm dating a Marine, it hasn't quite been a month, but he doesn't like being asked questions about love (when i asked him what made him tell me he loved me the first time, he said he hated the question and to not question his love for me), his family, or his past. I really wasn't sure how to take it because I like to know stuff like that. I'm just hoping that eventually he'll come around and start telling me things, he tells me he loves me and I believe him, he's great otherwise and in no way is this situation a dealbreaker. Thoughts? *UPDATE* we talked about the stuff he didn't want to talk about last night. i didn't lay a bunch of questions on him, but i really appreciate that he opened up to me :)
mzhoneythang mzhoneythang 22-25, F 17 Answers Jan 31, 2012

Stop thinking: "I'm just hoping that eventually he'll come around". He won't. If you are a woman that needs reassurance that you are loved, odds are that you will not get it. With that personality type (and most of us need reassurance in one form or another), you will begin to lose confidence in yourself which will lead you to question him more.<br />
With love, family and past off the table . . . things that dates and lovers talk about a lot . . . find someone else.

Best Answer

it would be one thing if he didn't tell me he loves me because he does, his actions are actually reassuring as well, it's just something that will probably take getting used to. i hear what you're saying thouugh.

Best Answer

Just think to yourself . . . is that how you want to start a relationship? Getting used to this? There is an entire world out there.

Best Answer

Guys are NOT as emotional as girls are. They don't actively think about these things. He will tell you all that he feels that you need to know. Eventually, the stuff about his past will come out, but don't pressure him. It'll probably come out in pieces.<br />
As long as he shows it and he says it, no need to make him explain it!

Best Answer

that's kinda what i'm expecting, i only asked him a couple times so i'm willing to leave it alone for now.

Best Answer

*nod* Long as he's a good guy, he'll reveal things at his own pace :). Good luck!

Best Answer

he's probably the macho misogynist alpha males types....

Best Answer

I don't believe you should stop thinking when you are building a realationship with someone. That response was odd. A man knows what women enjoy talking about. It is a bad move to cut her off when she is trying to connect to you. The whole restrictions on subjects connected to him is odd. He maybe hiding something painful or you maybe in for the shock of your life.

Best Answer

That response would have put me on alert that I can't open up to you. My personal thoughts to connect to you may not matter to you. The way we all connect to one another are our experiences. Not allowed talk about his past...his past built the man you are with today. Not allowed about his family.....again, something else connected to who he is. I hope you pay attention to how he ropes you in with rules.You won't feel that close to him if he continues.

Best Answer

it doesn't work....***** footing around questions...it's not a firm foundation for a relationship.<br />
he is what he is..you are what you are...if his reponses to your questions don't sit well with you...maybe he's not the guy for you.

Best Answer

Marry him, try to change him and report back.

Best Answer

Best Answer

I'd say it's not a good sign. Communication is the most important thing in a relationship and if he shuts you down when you try to have open, honest communication with him that's not good. But I also agree with what people are saying about the love questions, I'd ease up on them. Though it's a bit shady if he doesn't want you to know anything about his past. How can you truly get to know him if you don't talk about each other's pasts? I could see if he didn't want to talk about a certain aspect of his past, but just completely saying that it's off limits as a topic seems sketchy. A month in, do you really feel like you know him well enough to be in love with him or could it just be a good connection and infatuation?

Best Answer

He is your bf but doesn't like to talk about love. I could understand the family part, but love is the thing that usually keeps couples together. Unless the sex is alright.

Best Answer

~Semper Fi~
I think that maybe he doesn't like to open up quickly. Maybe, tell him everything about you, rights and your wrongs, and see if he will open up to you, if he doesn't say anything, let him stay quiet and leave, that would possibly, he is thinking of opening up to you.

Best Answer