Disgusting

Best Answer

Disgusting. I do understand the pain that the Aboriginal people feel over what has happened to them in the past, especially the not so distant past but burning the flag was just stupid.<br />
It's hard for me to explain without sounding racist towards aboriginal people, which I'm not. I am supportive to many of their causes but when they burn the aussie flag they are not doing anything to help their cause.<br />
It was a very silly thing for them to do. Who is going to want to support their cause now? Australians are extremely patriotic people. I would go as far as to say that Australia is probably the most patriotic country in the world. We are always bragging about how good our country is. Even though these people are australian, burning our flag is a good way to get a lot of people to hate you.

Best Answer

I admit that I don't know a great deal about the indepth history, except for the parallels to that of our Native Americans, but considering how long Australia has been a nation, if the Aborigines are just now burning the flag, they must be at the end of their patience waiting for change, and very angry. Anger is not always rational, but not necessarily unjustified, either. But when it's not your anger it may be easy to dismiss as "silly".

Best Answer

I get what you are saying but the reason why I call it silly is because they do have a lot of support from non-aboriginal people. By burning the flag, they have lost a lot of that support and they should have known that it would have happened. Their anger isn't unjustified, I can understand it but what they have done could possibly set them back a little. There is a fair bit of racism towards aboriginal people as it is and a lot of us want to help them fight it, but that is going to be so much harder to do now that they have burnt the flag. They have just given the racists more ammo.

Best Answer

It is the beauty of a democracy. Burning the flag of your country is the essence of political speech. Try that in China and Russia and you would be jailed and maybe killed. In Western Democracies, you may be jeered, but you have the freedom to express your disgust with the government's policy, whatever you may be protesting.<br />
You may hate the cause, but you have to love the ability to express political speech!!

Best Answer

Bravo

Best Answer

I think that's quite disrespectful. Every country has a flag of their national flag. If I were to burn theirs, they would be very upset. I wouldn't want to do that towards my flag. Respect, man.

Best Answer

During a protest, many, many years ago, a small group of Native Americans burned the National flag here, possibly for similar reasons, and people were pretty shocked. It was their way of refusing to acknowledge the country's sovereignty, as they said; they were here first. Ironically, the action was protected by the First Amendment...I think they were fined for littering, but that was it.

Best Answer

I think it is both. My grandpa fought for that flag so I don't think burning it is the thing to do. I think it is an insult to all of the people who fought and died for our country. I love my country, I do not love our government at the moment. If you don't like the country itself then move somewhere you do like. I would never burn the flag out of respect for my Grandpa.

Best Answer

But see, here's the difference: The aborigines are the equivalent of our Native Americans, THEY lived in the country before the flag existed, the people who brought the flag came from somewhere else. Why should the native people have to be the ones to leave ?

Best Answer

I don't know about that situation. I was just talking about people in the US and general citizens of a country. If I hated our contry I would look into moving away. Obviously I wouln't expect natives to leave because no matter where they go it will never be like it was before outsiders came.

Best Answer

You're right, europians did invade their country and treated them brutally but the thing is that they embrace every little part of modern-day australian culture now. Many of the younger ones couldn't live without their iPhones and computers now. What I am trying to say is that they are angry that we invaded, yet they are more than happy to embrace the modern-day culture and possibly couldn't live without it. Say we all left, and took our technology with us, leaving them with what they had before we invaded. They would be lost, angry, desperate, really needing a beer yet there is no beer... etc. I am not saying that they don't have a right to be upset with what happened to their ancestors or even how some white people treat them now, but they are burning a flag that has brought them a lot of the many modern-day comforts that they couldn't imagine living without now.

Best Answer

Who's to say that the IPhones and technology wouldn't have reached them the way it has other areas of the world not touched by colonialism ? I don't know what parts of their own culture may've been lost because of the Europeans, so I can't really address that. Obviously what's been done can't be undone, and they are entitled to the same benefits as anyone who currently lives in your country, but possibly while the flag represents for you Australia as a successful, competitive, first world Western power, with technological advances, isn't it possible for some Aborigines it represents the simple fact that they are not masters in their own home ? Does that make sense ?

Best Answer

It depends on the message... Offence should only be taken if offence was intended. I would not burn a flag... I would burn an effigy of the person that I think is perverting the spirit that the flag symbolizes.

Best Answer

I find it disgusting, but would find it even more disgusting to remove the right to burn it.

Best Answer

It is a statement of disrespect , protected free speech,

Best Answer

It is protected speach in the US. Personally I find it reprehensible. I would be dissapointed to learn my children engaged in it. I would fight for their right to engage in it. That is the beauty of our constitution

Best Answer

I think it is very wrong to burn the flag(though we do have the right) as your not only dis-respecting our country but all the military that have died defending that right to burn the flag. There are other ways to protest what is wrong or you could just go to some other country where you have no rights if you dare

Best Answer