or do you need to format/reformat??? or do I try to ask the pc to recognize the swapped hard drive???
Matthew633 Matthew633 46-50, M 10 Answers May 15, 2012

If you are running Windows 7 or a variant of Linux then you should be able to remove the hard-drive and place it into another machine and it will re-detect the drivers on the new system and let you use it without much fuss. Granted Windows may ask for a few new drivers that aren't already on the system.

Best Answer

Probably not without reinstalling the OS. With Windows, for example, even if there where no hardware driver issues, WGA would shut you down.

Best Answer

Forgot to factor in WGA :-( but hey if this drive is migrating... couldnt be ok with a little call to M$ ???

Best Answer

I don't think it should matter. It should just work.

Best Answer

Don't I desire for this to be the true answer! hehe

Best Answer

is the pin layout the same?

Best Answer

They are both sata if that's what you are asking

Best Answer

it should work...

Best Answer

your reply lack conviction, but I do appreciate it nonetheless!

Best Answer

You risk frying your board, so do the research. Have you tried adding it on as a slave first to check if it may need any formatting?

Best Answer

Thank you!
I already tried it and the MBR kept it from working. At first boot it worked, then I couldnt boot back to my regular AMD hard drive, after i abandoned the PC for 4 months it recovered THANK GOD!

Best Answer

Okay, if it doesn't work as a slave it won't swap either. Make sure the original still starts up alone. When you tried swapping it, what response did you get?

Best Answer

computer geeks this is something i dont deal with better call chad

Best Answer

Is that from Geek Squad??? hehe

Best Answer

yuppers :+)

Best Answer

It doesn't make any difference.

Best Answer

confused, but leaning toward it does matter.

Best Answer