looking4tha1 looking4tha1 22-25, M 18 Answers Oct 21, 2011

Nowadays, the real question is: Can anyone be successful WITH a college degree? If you are majoring in a liberal arts subject, unless you are (for some reason) determined to be a public school teacher, the answer would be NO.<br />
So...it depends on the kind of college degree and, of course, on the kind of person who gets that degree. In many cases, a student would be better off getting a vocational degree and training.<br />
I'm not against college degrees, you understand, I'm just against what I have come to call "knee jerk college educations."

Best Answer

love your answer, its so true

Best Answer

What makes me shake my head is the people who get college degrees and those degrees end up not being certified so they are meaningless..... or they are the wrong degree for whatever career they wanted.... or worst still - the people who get degrees and then do a completely different job. I know someone who has a teaching degree and she opted to work at a restaurant instead. Her degree was a waste of her time and money and hard work.

Best Answer

I agree with you :-) It's a waste when graduates end up not using their degrees.

Best Answer

Absolutley! I am, coming from a family of 6 siblings, (all 7 of us are females) there was not a heck of alot of money at all, so college was not so easily reachable, grants, loans, financial aid.. well that was also not so easy.<br />
I am an Information technology manager for a large Real Estate firm in NY; self study, as many free seminars I could get my butt to, study study study, read, read, read.<br />
Now trust I am not saying not to get a degree or that it will be useless; some companies won't even allow me to submit my resume without a degree; so it does depend on what you consider successful, I think I am successful in what I am doing, some may feel differently.<br />
When you reach YOUR goal, I believe you have become successful. :)

Best Answer

Here is my question, I have always acevied all my goals and moved up the ladder at all the companys I have been at, all fortune 500 companys. Now I'm trying to change jobs and I keep getting the degree road block. I presently work at the 3rd largest steel company in the world. Starting out as a shift manger working my way up to 2nd level management over a 5 year period. In charge of training of global eng staff, training my peers in microsoft projects, RCM and other various program. How do I get around the degree thing to get company to reconize a dedicated, self starter and a person who treates a company as a personal asset. Most personal people looking over the resume dont even understand have the stuff that your talking about in your resume. I done everything in my cover letters out side of saying hey stupid exsperiance count's for 90 percent. So back to my question of how do you get there attention.

Best Answer

Hi Scott,
Thank you for your reply. Let me start out by first asking, what is your goal? Would this be of a Project Management position, general management? What is your current company offering as far as "moving up" if any; do they have any schooling offered (company funded, of course) , if so and you are not immediately jumping ship to a new one right now, take advantage of that, any trade school experience helps, certifications also play a big part.
If you are looking to switch right now, what I look for on a resume is what you have accomplished, not only what your assigned duties entailed, this only gives me a job description, (because they told me to, so I did it) and how well you did this. e.g "successfully trained peers in MS Project, RCM (describe what this is on your resume)" Brand yourself, what is your personal brand?
Truth be told when applying for a position that says Degree Required, or please do not apply if you do not have a degree, could be a way of "weeding" out candidates; don't just say "that's it, not for me" try it; it does happen. Do NOT pass upon the ones that require a degree or relevant experience will be considered, you could very well be that pearl in the oyster said company is looking for. Sell your brand! Follow up, be confident.. how would you take this as selling.. "Shiny Brite Toothpaste- We think it will clean your teeth, but we're not sure, we think it can".. wouldn't buy it would you? Be your own billboard, sell your Brand and stand behind it, and do not false advertise.. know what I mean? In conjunction with job boards, ads, etc. utilize your network, anything from speaking with family, friends, colleagues, Linked in, Facebook.. Sell your brand, sometimes it could be someone you may meet in a Deli, etc.
Alot of recognition happens after we get our foot in the door- have someone help you open it, again Network. Don't ever get discouraged, alot of these jobs postings are automatically filtered, and your resume may never be seen, unfortunately. Think outside the box.. perhaps you can mail your resume (snail mail), or even fax it over so it is seen!
As far as your current employment, you have made great strides thus far and should be very proud of your accomplishments!
Focus on your assets and not what is lacking, i.e 4 year degree. I hope this helps even a little bit :)
Just remember Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Barry Diller, and Mark Zuckerberg (just to name a few) never graduated from college,they were too busy building their companies :)

Best Answer

Yes of course they can , a degree is just a piece of paper telling you about someones ability to do a certain job. You can be successful by showing people your ability to do various jobs.

Best Answer

Yes!! You can get a certificate in something such as clerical work or nursing assistant etc. Also, you can receive on the job training in a company and work your way from the bottom to the top (it has happened in retail companies such as walmart). Truly, it is not what you know, but HOW you do it and WHO you know. It is all about social skills and street smarts. Even if you had a college degree, it could be the WRONG degree for whatever job or the wrong school or whatever. In addition, in a job interview, it all comes down to DOES THE PERSON WHO IS INTERVIEWING ME LIKE ME? You will get the job if they like you. If they don't like you, you will not get the job even if you had 10 college degrees.

Best Answer

Yes, I personally know some people.

Best Answer

depends on your definition of 'successful'<br />
i've done well enough sans a degree

Best Answer

short answer, "Yes." <br />
But I think the question you really need to ask is "Can you be happy, being successful without a college degree."

Best Answer

yes they can. There are two types of people though, dreamers and doers. Doers will often be able to sail through life on their charisma. Whenever i observe doers, i notice they worry about the littlest things but never worry about being homeless or jobless or even death. While dreamers will look further ahead and will panic about their future if its not in their control. Doers will often be able to succeed with average results at all times. While dreamers may not be able to excel as often, they will either end up with the worst case scenario or they will do something amazing. Basically if an good opportunity hits a dreamer they will change the world regardless of a degree. A degree doesnt mean anything (and shame on you for thinking so). Most employers think highly of a degree so it is advantageous, but take it from me i tried to take a break from college to get a job and work my way up in a major job community, but time is a factor. Its all about location. If opportunity happens a lot in your community then thats good news. But if you live in an area that spawns 0%-1% famous people, then chances are that area sucks at giving opportunities to those without a degree.

Best Answer

Yes. But it's a hell of a lot harder.

Best Answer

Of course they can. I know many people who have been successful without a college degree. Have Paul Simon and Bob Dylan been successful?<br />
The question should be: can a person be successful without learning? The answer to that is: not likely.<br />
We have to be educated as a species, even in some survival skills. We can either be self-educated <br />
or they can go to a good school, and if they really have the desire to learn, a good teacher can place what they need to know before them like a well prepared meal. But we have to eat the meal. We have to internalize what the teacher places before us and allow ourselves to learn it, not just by memory, by in our hearts and let it affect our growth in the way we live, making us more able to be successful....improving our CHANCES.<br />
In this current economy (22 Oct, 2011) it is hard to find work in the US of almost any kind.

Best Answer

Best Answer

yep to me it not what you know its who you know or you just sell drugs

Best Answer

Yes of course : ).

Best Answer

Absolutely

Best Answer