blkhart88 blkhart88 22-25, F 11 Answers May 1, 2011

yes I know many people who are allergic to beer and other alcohols ... its usually a barley or wheat type allergy caused by the grains used in the making of alcohols.

Best Answer

whilst the simple answer is 'yes', most 'allergies' aren''t really allergies - eg a proportion of people (mainly Asian races) are missing an inportant enzyme that breaks down alcohol - they get very flushed and don't tolerate alchohol, even in small amounts - bad reaction, but not an allergy.

Best Answer

Oh how I wish the husband would develop an alcohol allergy! He spends 300 bucks a month on the stuff!

Best Answer

I know my Brother in Law reacts badly to alcohol, im not sure what in it he reacts badly to.

Best Answer

Well perhaps allergy isn't the right description ... but reaction and tolerance to alcohol is dependent on many things and it changes over time and for many different reasons. Personally, I do not tolerate alcohol at all well now compared to when I was much younger.

Best Answer

HI blkhart88

everyone is. It just takes a lot more in some people before it has a poisonous effect. Fascinating how it is so popular.

Best wishes

:)

Best Answer

I dont know about allergy's, but you can certainly get "cosakov" desease, your short memory function shuts down, and there is no cure, your brains are damaged beyond repair then.. Not cool!

Best Answer

i know they gave my dad a pill that makes him deathly ill if he even has a sip of alcohol

Best Answer

Yes.

The most common allergy is genetic (ALDH2 deficiency; lacking an enzyme that breaks down alcohol). It's very common among Asians and causes intense reddening and flushing of the skin, hot flashes, nausea, etc.

A person could also be allergic to a specific ingredient in the alcohol--people with Celiac disease are allergic to wheat, and therefore most beers and some liquors.

Best Answer

yes, it's not good for you at all.

Best Answer