What I mean with "scientist" is a person with a strong sense of criticism toward reality (people, things, situations etc) and a tendency to investigate, rationalize, catagol. Wisdom instead should be based on acceptance, balance, uninterest in judging. One believes in a journey to reach Truth, while the other thinks the Truth is the journey itself. It seems to me they don't fit together.
Diomea Diomea 18-21, F 5 Answers Jan 10, 2013 in Hobbies

Is this about religion vs science again? The two are only incompatible in the minds of those who wish to diminish religion.

Best Answer

No, is Wisdom vs Science. But at the end it's practically all a matter of "what is the real knowledge".

Best Answer

This is about the stupidest thing I think I've ever read. What numbnuts like you are never likely understand is that most scientists have incredibly open minds about the possibilities in the world around them. They certainly have a great curiosity about the world around them. That's why they became scientists! Allowing for anything to be possible though is not the same as believing in anything. Scientists/skeptics allow for anything ot be possible but require credible evidence to actually believe in something. That as far as I'm concerned is certainly much wiser than believing in anything without any credible evidence whatsoever.

Best Answer

Again: generally Wisdom is considered the acceptance of human nature, while Science the exact opposite. Which one is "real" knowledge?

Best Answer

Science accepts all sorts of things when there is evidence to back it up. Simple as that. Wisdom is the judicious application of knowledge. You need to ensure your 'knowledge' is actually based in reality for it to be used judiciously.

Best Answer

Okay, like the answer. But some philosophy teories destroy the same concept of "reality", considering it an illusion. So they destroy Science itself and its trust in evidences. Then I ask you: is Science right in relying so much on reality, when it can be just an illusion?

Best Answer

You can accept the possibility its an illusion but is there any credible evidence to support that assertion? Our reality is of course a construct but it is generally a construct based on our common experiences and accepted truths which are based on evidence. So for instance no matter who we are or where are on this planet if we jump we come back down. Gravity is a reality for us all, it's certainly no illusion.

Best Answer

We enter in the magical world of relativism. We could discuss a lot about it, but what I need to know now is how much your scientific attitude is on the right path for true knowledge. For Philosophy Science is narrow-minded, for Science Philosophy is narrow-minded. Wtf. And I'm actually beginning to understand there's no answer.

Best Answer

I don't think science thinks philiosophy is narrow minded. Philosophy is not constrained by the rules and methodology of science. It gives us insights into how we view the world but science gives us insights into how the world works.

Best Answer

That's interesting. But can these two views not influence each other? Definitely no: they do influence each other a lot. So how can the "insight into how the world works" accept to be tied to the "insight into how we view the world" and viceversa, when they both cleary want to be free?

Best Answer

What are you classifying as philosophy here? As I don't think philosophers and scientists ever really have that many issues with each other.

Best Answer