I am currently seeing a therapist. She diagnosed me with severe depression.. I have been having dreams lately that I kill myself one way or another.. And these are VERY vivid dreams.. I wake up thinking I am still in this dream.. that's how realistic they are... Well.. I want to tell her about these dreams but I am afraid that she would be able to tell my family or friends if she decides to hospitalize me. The therapy is being done in private (no one knows about it) and I want it to stay that way... I am 19 so I am considered a legal adult.
Noonexknowsxme Noonexknowsxme 18-21 21 Answers Dec 4, 2012 in Suicide

i dont think your parents need to know but how are you going to hide the fact that youre in the hospital, you probably dont have to tell them that either, just say youre unavailable for a while

Best Answer

Yes, if they believe you will harm yourself and possibly others they have to use necessary precautions to ensure the safety of you and others.<br />
If you want to confide in your therapist about certain dreams or aspects of your life, then you should ask the therapist not to share these details with others.<br />
If your therapy sessions are paid for by another family member or their insurance, it would stand to reason that they would want to know the progress of your treatment.

Best Answer

Yes and no. Legally your old so if u want it to be confidential they cant tell your parents because u've decided to keep it in the low, nowONLY if they think that your life is in danger D: they need to contact ur parents or the police or w.e thats the only time they can break that rule of confidentiality... i took psychology classes so i know a little about this

Best Answer

I'm saddened by the obviousness, that you can't talk to your family about your needs or that your family won't listen to your pleas.

Best Answer

First off, if you have dreams in which you kill yourself, I should think when you wake up you'd know it was only a dream. I mean if you had really killed yourself, you probably wouldn't wake up, right? As to your 'therapist', he or she is probably required by law to notify "The Authority's", if you tell her something like that. You may be legally an adult, but you would definitely be considered a 'real threat to yourself'. Go talk to a priest, minister, or rabbi. They will help you ( unlike your 'therapist', they will not charge you ) to work thru your problems without killing yourself ( you've got to keep in mind, you can only kill youirself once, & once its done, IT IS DONE!!! you might want to hold off for awhile - like until you die of olde age or cancer ), and 'they will keep it confidential', they will tell 'no one' unless you tell or ask them to.

Best Answer

In the US, the therapist is obligated to report to the athorities anyone she or he diagnosis as being a potential harm to themselves or others. However, dreams are not considered manifestations of reality and, by themselves, are not justification to declare a person a threat. One must state unequivicaly, that they intend to harm themselves or others. Age is not a factor as to report or not, only intent.

Best Answer

Christmas day go for it, you spoiled ****

Best Answer

Yes...if they consider you are a danger to yourself and others...I'll be thinking about you love. x

Best Answer

it depends on the situation. if you are a harm to yourself or others then your therapist can share the info to save your life. Cases like Baker Act.

Best Answer

She can only tell someone if she thinks you are planning on acting on your thoughts. Since they're just dreams everything should stay confidential

Best Answer

If you are a danger to yourself or others,i believe she has a professional obligation to tell your family.

Best Answer

If she believes that you are a danger to yourself or others, she is allowed to break confidentiality and tell someone.

Best Answer

Unless you have assigned a legal healthcare proxy, the therapist or hospital that you may be admitted into cannot discuss the circumstances of your admittance with family members.

Best Answer

Ask a lawyer online.. <br />
Praying for you to be better and for you to pray regardless of what you believe in. If you want to live try your best to fight this . Good luck and God bless you

Best Answer

Not in this country. She can't say anything to anyone unless you have given permission. That goes for the hospital too.

Best Answer

well if they believe you are in danger of killing yourself or others then yeah they can tell someone...but just bc you dream it doesnt mean you really want to...

Best Answer

If you are legally an adult I don't believe she has the right to tell your parents.

Best Answer

if you dont live in italy than no, if you live here, they tell your whole family, and your job everything about you, theres no medical or mental health privacy laws practiced here. consider yourself blessed, just tell her, you can always fire her if she does.

Best Answer