I am writing a story. The main character grew up hearing Ojibwe on a reservation in Northern Montana, but he claims not to be able to speak it fluently, knowing only a few scattered words and phrases. In a dream state he has a conversation with his deceased father. I want the conversation to be in the character's native language, but I do not have the skill to effectively translate it. I need help from a speaker of this language.
atylock atylock 46-50 3 Answers Jan 23, 2012

That's Chippewa. They lived around Wis. & many were also French Canadian. Start looking for people in Canada near Wis. Also I believe Chippewa has been written down. It's not like Navaho which they used during WWII because it had never been recorded, therefore making it impossible to break the code. Look for Ojibway language, or Chippewa. Good Luck! My ex husband was Ojibway/French Canadian. Ok I did a little research for you. go to wikipedia and look up Ojibway language. There's an EXCELLENT article under "Ojibway Language" and it has been written down. There are quite a few exaamples of words & phrases. There are also tons of references.

Best Answer

If I knew any Chippewa I would. I posted the question because I have hit a dead end on this translation.

Best Answer

I'll try wikipedia. I usually use that as a starting point when doing research, but didn't figure it would be much good for language translation issues. Thank you for expanding your answer past That's Chippewa, ask some.

Best Answer

I went to the wikipedia page you mentioned and looked through the reference materials. I found a dictionary that has been very helpful. It isn't perfect, but it should suffice for my purpose.

Best Answer

Why don't you move there?

Best Answer

I can't move to Montana. Were you being serious?

Best Answer