Of course we aren't happy, society implies that we all must live up to an improbable standard of life, and if you don't make a certain amount of money or live by a set standard then you are worthless.

Best Answer

but if all those needs are meet then what about it then i mean you still see successful people with depression and i see no reason for it, but the again i have yet to walk in their shoes so my question makes me feel vexed x.x

Best Answer

In my opinion, depression comes from oppression.

Best Answer

True, but I was trying to touch more so on the 'unobtainable goals' aspect. People never seem to be content with what they have anymore.

Best Answer

well why dont people just try to attain some sort of spiritual happiness and i dont mean religion lol

Best Answer

I think we start out that way- but over time, as we get older, we are shaped by our environment to become "all of the negative qualities".....some people lead" charmed" lives, some live more challenging lives, but I would say the majority of us lead "normal" lives with periods of happiness and times of depression

Best Answer

well i still would like to say theres hope for the generation after mine hopefully a more free society with less prejudice and more reasonable standards

Best Answer

You can raise your children that way!

Best Answer

i plan too theyre free to choice their own path in life i wont hold their choices against them

Best Answer

It's the cost of living in a society without defined and proven roles, values and mores. Strangely, people were more content years ago, and are still so in traditional societies. <br />
In simple English, few people know how to be happy in our society or how to bring up happy kids. I think I worked it out to some extent, but it's not a simple one-line answer.

Best Answer

so let me get this straigh basically modernization has made our society as a whole acquire somewhat warped values and such from their original which has created a harder environment for people to grow in?

Best Answer

Not warped values. In the past, people KNEW what their role was and didn't expect much more. So they were content to be a blacksmith, housewife, farmer, etc. They had identity, values, and meaning was simpler. Now, you have to figure it out yourself. You can aspire to things you can't achieve.

Best Answer

Surviving doesn't guarantee happiness, just like simply being happy doesn't guarantee longterm survival---though it makes the time pass more pleasantly, I guess.

Best Answer

A cheapened society where the things we value are rubbish and the things should value are demonized. Just a thought, not necessarily even an opinion.

Best Answer

i agree :D most of the things we should value are either overlooked or just seen as irrelevant things in todays society due to the fact of how things are now

Best Answer

Turn on the TV and watch a few minutes...our species is having a nervous breakdown

Best Answer

ooh sounds like fun :D then where sure to see everyone's true colors

Best Answer

you bet

Best Answer

Find where you fit in and be happy with that and you'll be ok.

Best Answer

Because it is in our nature to want what we don't have.

Best Answer

but wouldn't it be much easier to just deal with what we do have rather than being greedy?

Best Answer

Indeed, but obviously few thing that way.

Best Answer

Probably because its always been more expedient to be unhappy and thus to gather more resources and food and so on, than it was to sit around be content

Best Answer

It's exactly for that reason that we survive, think about it.

Best Answer

so its good to be depressed o.o?

Best Answer

I'm not talking about emotionally/ spiritually. Humans are more materialistic than anything else.
That "unhappiness" often drives people to do things to better themselves, more often than not materialistically.
Survival of the fittest almost always applies to the physical nature of our life rather than the inner self. So by that reasoning, unhappiness causes humans to strive to build wealth/ nations/ etc.

Best Answer

Ah i see so through hardships we attain determination in order to create our most optimum course of life

Best Answer